Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Set Software Update check frequency in Mountain Lion' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Set Software Update check frequency in Mountain Lion
Authored by: babbage on Aug 27, '12 08:31:48AM

Of course, it's also settable from the command line without having to hand-edit the plist file:

defaults write com.apple.SoftwareUpdate ScheduleFrequency 1

---
DO NOT LEAVE IT IS NOT REAL

Set Software Update check frequency in Mountain Lion
Authored by: dilvish1984 on Aug 27, '12 09:00:47AM

Your suggestion will make this change to ~/Library/Preferences, while I think you really do have to make this change in /Library/Preferences to have the desired effect (see below for the command to do so)

Set Software Update check frequency in Mountain Lion
Authored by: babbage on Aug 27, '12 09:07:26AM

True, but the way I understand preference domains on OSX, this shouldn't be a problem in practice. If you have a setting in your home folder, it should trump whatever setting may exist in the top-level Library folder. If that doesn't work, something else is also broken.

---
DO NOT LEAVE IT IS NOT REAL

Set Software Update check frequency in Mountain Lion
Authored by: dilvish1984 on Aug 27, '12 09:14:17AM

Yeah, but in my experience, Apple doesn't always stick to their own rules. ;)

I just tested it and, at least on my setup (I am still on Lion, which might make a difference I suppose), the key only works if it ends up in the plist file found in the /Library/Preferences folder... could somebody else test this and confirm or deny?

Use defaults write with a filename
Authored by: lullabud on Aug 27, '12 11:47:42AM
10.8 allows you to specify a filename rather than a preference domain.

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist ScheduleFrequency 1

Use defaults write with a filename
Authored by: digital_dreamer on Aug 27, '12 12:19:36PM

The .plist extension should be left off when using the default commands.

MAJ

Re: Use defaults write with a filename
Authored by: Uncle Asad on Aug 27, '12 02:29:58PM
See my comment below; Apple intends to break the ability of defaults to manipulate plists by path at some point.