Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Master list of OS X keyboard shortcuts' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Master list of OS X keyboard shortcuts
Authored by: danrodney on Mar 15, '12 08:12:57AM
I know I'm biased, but I think my own page of keystrokes is a bit nicer looking and has some things Apple's page doesn't http://www.danrodney.com/mac/
---
Daniel Rodney - Adobe Certified Instructor, graphic designer

Master list of OS X keyboard shortcuts
Authored by: wgscott on Mar 16, '12 07:29:17AM

I was about to post a link to that page. The layout is much more visually appealing and therefore useful. Thanks for making that website.

Master list of OS X keyboard shortcuts
Authored by: osxpounder on Mar 16, '12 12:55:42PM

Thanks, Dan. Looks good and is much appreciated.

A little oddity: I browsed to your page and then searched for "Don't Save" but the browser didn't find it (it's there, of course). It looks like the apostrophe that my keyboard types doesn't match the one you use on your page (or at least that's how Firefox reads it).

That's not a criticism of your page or the browser, but now it's got me thinking that I wish search functions could recognize a situation like this and offer a little smarter result.

---
- iCal on the Mac has gotten really awesome lately. I wish iOS had the same totally flexible reminders!

Master list of OS X keyboard shortcuts
Authored by: danrodney on Mar 16, '12 01:04:21PM

As a designer I practice proper typography, so the Don't Save on my page would have a proper apostrophe, instead of a "dumb quote" style which is actually a foot mark. It's sad to hear that the search function of a browser isn't smart enough to figure that out. Browsers should be able to handle that. But it does raise an issue I hadn't thought about. Maybe I should go with the regular apostrophe, because it's better for search... even though it's not correct typography.

---
Daniel Rodney - Adobe Certified Instructor, graphic designer

Master list of OS X keyboard shortcuts
Authored by: jeffshenk on Mar 20, '12 07:04:09PM

It's surprising that a designer who practices correct typography would call a "dumb" single quotation mark a foot mark, since in proper typography the foot mark is the prime symbol and the inch mark is the double prime.

Master list of OS X keyboard shortcuts
Authored by: danrodney on Mar 21, '12 04:18:43AM

Many people also use the "dumb" quotes for measurements, whether it's correct or not. In that comment I wasn't trying to get into a long typography lesson here. I was simply trying to make the point that I was using proper quotes and apostrophes.

---
Daniel Rodney - Adobe Certified Instructor, graphic designer

Master list of OS X keyboard shortcuts
Authored by: Neville Hillyer on Mar 20, '12 10:25:27AM

http://www.danrodney.com/mac/ Looks good Daniel - I have bookmarked it.

Perhaps you could add a section for Terminal - it annoys me that default page up and down never work as published for Man pages.