Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Airport Utility 6.0' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Airport Utility 6.0
Authored by: aMacUzur on Feb 07, '12 05:13:41PM

I have a network containing older Airport Express "g" units and newer "n" units so updated to (both) Airport Utility v5.6 and v6.0. If you cross-check, you'll find, at least on a current model Airport Express ("n" version), that Airport Utility v6.0 provides access to only a subset of the setup/capabilities that Airport Utility v5.6 provides.

I didn't notice this mentioned anywhere, but it's actually quite important. In fact, the update web-pages seem to imply that v5.6 was only for older units that 6.0 didn't handle. In fact, it works for both (at least in the case of Airport Express units). Given some of the things that can't ba accessed/configured via 6.0 (e.g., time server setup, unit location, transmit-strength setting, logs, etc.), it seems that you'll need both.

Airport Utility 6.0
Authored by: apikoros on Feb 08, '12 10:57:56AM

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I thought it wasn't possible to mix "n" and "g" units.

I recently got a current-generation Time Capsule, and a friend gave me her older-model Time Capsule, which is also an "n" unit. I had hoped to use my older b/g "Snow" Extreme and my older b/g Expresses wirelessly with both "n" Time Capsules (which will be wired to each other via Ethernet), but I've been told it can't be done. Can you point me to information on how you managed to create a mixed g/n network?

Thanks in advance.

Airport Utility 6.0
Authored by: kirkmc on Feb 08, '12 11:21:01AM

I think - and I'm not sure, but this is how I did it - is to use two channels, one 5 GHz n, and another g.

---
Author of Take Control of iTunes 10: The FAQ and Take Control of Scrivener 2

Airport Utility 6.0
Authored by: apikoros on Feb 08, '12 12:04:10PM
Thanks, but… oy. I don't even remember how I set up the "g" network that I have now. I have no idea how to use two channels. I suppose it's a matter of mastering arcane Airport Utility settings… while using both AU 5.5.3 and 6.0? Gevalt. But thanks again.
Edited on Feb 08, '12 12:05:27PM by apikoros

Airport Utility 6.0
Authored by: David Allen on Feb 08, '12 05:03:12PM

a, b, g and n devices can all connect to the same wireless network, but the network will slow to the speed of the weakest link. So if you mix g and n devices, the n devices will get no better than g throughput. Only n devices can use 5 GHz frequency, so if you create a mixed LAN and have a dual band router, it is better to use the 5GHZ frequency for the n devices that can use it.

---
Dah•veed |David Allen|
Monterrey, NL, Mexico

Airport Utility 6.0
Authored by: apikoros on Feb 08, '12 10:18:22PM

Thanks, David. The newest Time Capsule is dual-band, so I'll try to work it out.