Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Huh? | 20 comments | Create New Account
Click here to return to the 'Huh?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Huh?
Authored by: slb on Jan 05, '12 02:06:17PM

How is this a "bug"? It was a change.

Huh?
Authored by: schutt on Jan 05, '12 05:08:15PM
It is a change from the standard and convenient notation to the notation used by advertisers. Since the change isn't beneficial, and doesn't have an official way to reverse it, it is an error (bug).

Huh?
Authored by: leamanc on Jan 05, '12 06:41:55PM

I, for one, found the change beneficial, if only for dealing with consulting clients who don't even understand mathematical bases, much less how computers work. When I install a 500 GB hard drive for them, I like for the Finder to show 500 GB as the capacity. It's just one less thing I have to try and explain to them, thus I get to avoid some blank stares or little insinuations that I am trying to rip them off somehow (e.g., I am charging them for more than they actually received).

For those of us who do understand how these things work, just make the adjustment in your head, or run this guy's script to change it to what you find "correct". But really, what is "correct"? As a wise man once said a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away:

"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." --Obi-Wan Kenobi, 4 ABY

Huh?
Authored by: slb on Jan 06, '12 09:30:49AM

Agreed.
It's not a bug. It's an intentional change by Apple. Not a bug. While some may not welcome it - some do. Us correct terminology (previous poster)

Huh?
Authored by: _Gekko_ on Jan 07, '12 06:08:13AM

not to start a discussion about this, but merely to point out some facts ...
'base-10' actually follows logic and international standards

1 meter = 1 m = 1 unit of meters
1 bit = 1 b = 1 unit of bits
1 Byte = 1 B = 1 unit of Bytes = 1 unit of 8 bits (most used, could also be 1 unit of 5 bits or whatever ...)

1 kilometer = 1 km = 1000 units of 1 meter
1 kilobit = 1 kb = 1000 units of 1 bit
1 kiloByte = 1 kB = 1000 units of 1 Byte

the word kilo is derived from greek 'chilioi' which means ... 1000
so kilo never should've been used for 1024 in the first place ...

Apple changes this, as will Ubuntu, which really is a good thing, because I believe it is of no use to p.ex. complain that MS IE does not comply to standards but on the other hand start defending the fact that standards should not be used when it involves calculating diskspace ...

Huh?
Authored by: frgough on Jan 09, '12 12:11:46PM

"used by advertisers" suggests you don't understand the actual issue. The size reported by your computer AND by the hard drive manufacturers WAS EXACTLY THE SAME. Too many people, including technical types, have been confused by the fact that the two DIFFERENT units use the same name. It would be like saying advertisers were being misleading because they sold gold in 16 ounces per pound while a goldsmith sold it in 12 ounces per pound. All your complaint would demonstrate is that you don't know the difference between ounces Troy and ounces Avoirdupois. It's the same thing here with drive size pre Snow Leopard.

Huh?
Authored by: Jaywalk3r on Jan 10, '12 09:47:06AM
The two different units do not have the same name, nor do they have the same abbreviation. According to IEEE 1541 standard (as well as similar standards), 1 kilobyte = 1 kB = 1000 bytes, 1 megabyte = 1 MB = 1000 kilobytes, 1 gigabyte = 1 GB = 1000 megabytes, etc., and 1 kibibyte = 1 KiB = 1024 bytes, 1 mebibyte = 1 MiB = 1024 kibibytes, 1 gibibyte = 1 GiB = 1024 mebibytes, etc. There is nothing wrong with using either base 10 or base 2 units in Finder, provided the correct unit abbreviation is given so users can easily recognize which base units are being used for measurements.

Huh?
Authored by: everkleer80 on Jan 12, '12 08:23:42PM

That's interesting... I have never seen the different names, and I doubt many other people have either. I have seen the different abbreviations (ie. GiB vs. GB) but it never really dawned on me what each one meant. I'd be curious to know the percentage of computer software that actually uses the correct abbreviations/terms - I think I've only seen *iB in some bit torrent programs .. and maybe also in some Linux environments. I know Windows doesn't use it, as the 95,737,000,000 bytes free on my Windows machine are reported as 89.1 GB, and I'm pretty sure previous Mac OSes didn't (I only have Lion machines, but I verified this in the screenshot on the Disk Utility Wikipedia page.)

But regardless of what's correct, I agree that the base 10 reporting of sizes should be the standard. If a drive is advertised as 500 GB, I want my computer to report it as 500 GB.

Huh?
Authored by: _Gekko_ on Jan 17, '12 11:00:07PM

The kibi,mebi etc stuff are quite recent units specifically created to tell the difference between the two.
Before their existence the difference could be shown by using kb or kB, but that didn't really work out very well ...

Huh?
Authored by: Jaywalk3r on Jan 18, '12 01:08:15AM

The binary unit prefixes aren't terribly recent. They've been around for awhile (~15 years, IIRC) albeit not the centuries that the base ten unit prefixes have existed.

Huh?
Authored by: osxpounder on Jan 06, '12 11:11:49AM

I'm grateful for this hint nonetheless.

This reminds me of one of my pet peeves in computing: beginning a list or array with 0.

I understand why we start with 0, in programming. I just don't like it.

---
- iCal has gotten really awesome lately.
Edited on Jan 06, '12 11:23:35AM by osxpounder