Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Like to use TextEdit? Hate not having Save as...?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Like to use TextEdit? Hate not having Save as...?
Authored by: stephenr on Dec 05, '11 08:12:24AM

Replacing an app from a previous OS version is completely overkill.

"Save As" has simply become "Duplicate"

If you want, you can even assign "Cmd-Shift-S" to "Duplicate" under System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Application Shortcuts

Ditto
Authored by: SeanAhern on Dec 05, '11 09:55:28AM

"Duplicate" is a better way of doing "Save As…" anyway.

Way better
Authored by: wfolta on Dec 05, '11 10:35:21AM

Duplicate is better than the old system, as you say. And so is Revert To Saved, which works way better than the old Quit and then answer "No" to "Do you want so save your changes?".

You get the same functionality with basically the same number of keystrokes overall, but you get a LOT more flexibility and a lot more safety net under you with the new system.

For example, if you make some changes, then decide you don't want them and you Revert To Saved, then Quit, the document will look just like it was before your changes. Drag-n-drop it, attach it to an email, it is unchanged. BUT you can actually retrieve the changes in the revision history if you later decide you want to look at them, or copy some of them, or actually use that version. A LOT more flexible, unless you're worried about subpoena's and want no evidence you ever thought of making any changes. (In which case, you should be worried about temp files and all kinds of other issues.)

It's just old habits that die hard, really.

Re: Ditto
Authored by: AnonMac50 on Dec 05, '11 01:07:23PM

I personally the old Save As…

But that's just me.

Like to use TextEdit? Hate not having Save as...?
Authored by: toupsz on Dec 05, '11 03:54:40PM
Duplicate is not the same as Save as, they are different mechanisms that can accomplish the same task. I would, personally, rather have both. 95% of the time, I want to Save as (either to version a document or fork it), and about 5% of the time I want to Duplicate (essentially freeze a version).

I understand that Apple seems to have some vision of their OS versioning and backing up everything for you. In practice, that does not happen on my machines and I have to interface with machines that are not Macs. It's actually a bit infuriating because, even with a Ph.D. in computer science (and, specifically, human interfaces), I am baffled by what the intended use is, which leads to difficulty in getting work done. It's made especially complicated by most of my applications still having Save as (which I prefer) and the Apple ones simply not doing what I want.

-Z

Like to use TextEdit? Hate not having Save as...?
Authored by: hamarkus on Dec 07, '11 12:24:21PM

95% of the time when I use Save As, I want to use an existing file as the basis for a new one, in other words, I want to duplicate an existing file...