Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'iCloud use and/or plans for use' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
iCloud use and/or plans for use
Authored by: marksch on Nov 28, '11 10:42:33AM

Hi,

i believe it would be more interesting to know WHY people do or don't use iCloud than WHETHER they do, don't or will. I would like to know whether there are more people who tried to use iCloud but simply can't do so because everything that isn't Lion, including Linux, Windows and Mac OS X 10.6.8 and older, is excluded.

Even though I updated my iPhone to iOS 5, I get an error message if I try to use anything iCloud-related. This is a marketing trick, to force people to buy new hardware. I don't like it when Apple plays tricks on me. No thanks, Apple, no iCloud for me.

Kind regards,

Mark

---
Mark

Economy-x-Talk
Have your own custom software created

iCloud use and/or plans for use
Authored by: Dephex Twin on Nov 29, '11 05:01:29PM

I have an old iPhone 3GS that I upgraded to iOS 5, and I don't get any errors with iCloud-related activities. Are you suggesting that Apple is intentionally selecting some older iPhones to have iCloud errors?

Edited on Nov 29, '11 05:03:28PM by Dephex Twin

iCloud use and/or plans for use
Authored by: marksch on Nov 30, '11 02:26:46PM

Nope, I am not suggesting, I am saying that Apple doesn't let me use iCloud on my iPhone 3GS. The error message clearly says that the iPhone 3GS is too old and I can't see any technical reasons for this.

---
Mark

Economy-x-Talk
Have your own custom software created

iCloud use and/or plans for use
Authored by: Dephex Twin on Nov 30, '11 02:51:55PM

Even from a purely cynical viewpoint, what is the advantage to Apple to deliberately have some iPhone 3GSes work and others not work?

If they wanted to make iPhone 3GS obsolete, they could have just made iPhone 4 a requirement for the new OS and gotten a lot more upgrades.

On the other hand, intentionally making some iPhone 3GSes not work (a) gives the false appearance that Apple has bugs/technical issues with iCloud (a characterization that they really wanted to overcome after MobileMe), (b) only forces some 3GS users to upgrade, and (c) might even put them into legal hot water.

There is no reason why Apple would do this.

Edited on Nov 30, '11 02:53:23PM by Dephex Twin

iCloud use and/or plans for use
Authored by: marksch on Dec 17, '11 04:32:32AM

I wasn't cynical, I just stated a fact. I only speculated about possible reasons.

---
Mark

Economy-x-Talk
Have your own custom software created

iCloud use and/or plans for use
Authored by: alansky on Nov 30, '11 02:22:55PM

The first thing is: MobileMe users who would like to keep using MobileMe until next June are advised not to sign up for iCloud until they're ready to stop using MobileMe. Most of the MobileMe problems I've seen reported in the Apple Support Community forums started after signing up for iCloud.

The second thing is: iCloud is not a replacement for MobileMe. Some MobileMe features do translate, but the best features of MobileMe are missing from iCloud. No photo galleries, no iDisk for easy filesharing, no iWeb publishing. The only good reason I can think of to sign up for iCloud at all is that MobileMe users who do not sign up for iCloud will lose their mac.com or me.com email addresses.

iCloud use and/or plans for use
Authored by: marksch on Nov 30, '11 02:28:32PM

I don't have a Mobile.me acount.

---
Mark

Economy-x-Talk
Have your own custom software created

iCloud use and/or plans for use
Authored by: marksch on Dec 17, '11 04:36:18AM

I'm now able to use some cloud features on my iPhone 3GS. Maybe this is because I updated to iOS 5.0.1, maybe Apple changed something on the servers, I don't know.

I can use iCloud E-Mail and the Find my Friends app on my iPhone 3GS.

---