Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.7: Get colored sidebar icons in Finder' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.7: Get colored sidebar icons in Finder
Authored by: jsumners on Oct 31, '11 08:11:49AM
If you reboot, or logout, then you have to restart Finder once logged in to get the colored icons back. I solved this by adding a plist to ~/Library/LaunchAgents/. You can name the plist anything you like. I went with 'com.example.color.sidebar.plist'. Here's the plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
		<string>killall Finder; open /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app</string>
	</array>
</dict>
</plist>

10.7: Get colored sidebar icons in Finder
Authored by: David Allen on Oct 31, '11 01:37:36PM

I like the plist, but it is a pain to use because it closes the two Finder windows that I normally have open.

---
Dah•veed |David Allen|
Monterrey, NL, Mexico

10.7: Get colored sidebar icons in Finder
Authored by: jsumners on Oct 31, '11 02:57:33PM

And manually restarting Finder doesn't?

10.7: Get colored sidebar icons in Finder
Authored by: David Allen on Nov 01, '11 06:14:30PM

Relaunching Finder from Force Quit in the Apple menu does not close my Finder windows. I tried to make an Automator app to do it from Force Quit but was unsuccessful.

---
Dah•veed |David Allen|
Monterrey, NL, Mexico

10.7: Get colored sidebar icons in Finder
Authored by: anic297 on Dec 21, '11 06:05:56AM

It's better to quit an application normally, not force-quitting it. You can do it two ways for the Finder:
Use an AppleScript: Tell application "Finder" to quit
Show the Quit menu item with an hidden command, certainly available in MacOSXHints.

10.7: Get colored sidebar icons in Finder
Authored by: paulduv on Oct 31, '11 03:52:56PM

jsumners, could you provide a bit of information about this solution? Installing the plist: I assume I save that text in a plain text file? Activating it: do I do anything to activate it, or does it run automatically on restart? Thanks in advance!

10.7: Get colored sidebar icons in Finder
Authored by: jsumners on Nov 01, '11 06:48:35AM

It is a plain text document with the ".plist" extension. The launchd agent will process any valid plists in ~/Library/LaunchAgents whenever launchd runs. That is, you don't have to do anything. Just put the file in place and the next time you login, and subsequent logins, it will be run.

10.7: Get colored sidebar icons in Finder
Authored by: scorpio-pp on Nov 01, '11 03:01:13PM

My problem solved as follows:

After putting the plist file in the LaunchAgents folder you must then Relaunch Finder to first show the coloured sidebar icons, then after a Shut Down, Log Out or Restart the next and subsequent Start Ups or Log Ins will always show the coloured sidebar icons in Finder windows.

Failure to initialise thus will result in no coloured icons being shown in subsequent Start Ups, Log Ins or Restarts.

10.7: Get colored sidebar icons in Finder
Authored by: Old Toad on Nov 01, '11 10:56:30AM

The preference file didn't work for me when I put it in my ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ folder but it did when I moved it to my HD/Library/LaunchAgents/ folder. There is worked as advertised with no problems at all.

Thanks.