Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.7: Unanticipated but welcome behavior in Photostream' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.7: Unanticipated but welcome behavior in Photostream
Authored by: Skurfer on Oct 24, '11 11:32:15AM

This sounds, nice but then what do you do with the photos in the Camera Roll on the iOS device?

Youíre prompted to delete them after a traditional (USB cable) import, but if theyíve already been imported, you donít get that chance. You either have to import them again (creating duplicates - and Iím not even sure if it would work) or you have to delete every picture you ever take for the rest of your life manually using the iOS device itself.

Am I missing something?

Iíve turned of the automatic import from Photo Stream into iPhoto. I see iCloud as a good way to back up photos from iOS, but (so far) a terrible way to move things from one place to another.

10.7: Unanticipated but welcome behavior in Photostream
Authored by: Unsoluble on Oct 24, '11 11:54:16AM

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing.

I don't know if I'm just more OCD than the average user, but I need to have my Camera Roll completely empty, unless I just took some shots. Now that Photo Stream is auto-uploading everything for me, I no longer have a means of auto-removing its contents (and yeah, I tried just manually re-importing, but as you said, you just end up with duplicates. Unghhh.)

So for now, I've got Photo Stream disabled again. :(

10.7: Unanticipated but welcome behavior in Photostream
Authored by: Skurfer on Oct 24, '11 12:02:16PM

I keep it enabled, but turn off the automatic importing (which you can do in iPhotoís preferences).

10.7: Unanticipated but welcome behavior in Photostream
Authored by: Unsoluble on Oct 24, '11 04:24:48PM

Ahh, yeah, that's the ticket. Best config at this point, anyway. Thanks!

10.7: Unanticipated but welcome behavior in Photostream
Authored by: rbenezra on Oct 24, '11 08:43:51PM

If all Photostream photos on my iPhone have been automatically imported into my iPhoto library on my laptop, when I connect my iPhone via USB to transfer the camera roll, it recognizes that these photos have been imported and asks if I want to delete them from the phone. Don't see what the problem is but maybe I'm missing something.

10.7: Unanticipated but welcome behavior in Photostream
Authored by: Unsoluble on Oct 25, '11 10:16:01AM

If that's how it behaves, then that's awesome. Will definitely see if I can get it to work like that when I get home -- thanks for the tip!

10.7: Unanticipated but welcome behavior in Photostream
Authored by: Unsoluble on Oct 25, '11 08:47:25PM

Hmm. When I connect my phone to iPhoto, it shows the photos and videos on it, split into two sections -- already imported, and not imported. But it doesn't offer to delete anything. How did you get it to do that?

10.7: Unanticipated but welcome behavior in Photostream
Authored by: Skurfer on Nov 07, '11 11:48:07AM
Iíve never seen this, but I wonder if the key is ďall Photostream photosĒ. I have 3 or 4 that have been there since before iOS 5 was released that I donít care to import to iPhoto.