Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.7: Window resizing options' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.7: Window resizing options
Authored by: scooby509 on Aug 06, '11 02:09:14PM

Uh, the only zoom in the Finder is zoom to fit. What are you talking about?

10.7: Window resizing options
Authored by: Unsoluble on Aug 06, '11 08:18:28PM

Open a bunch of Finder windows. Click the zoom-to-fit buttons. Et voilŗ, it doesn't work. :)

(More specifically: Windows won't get nearly as small as they used to in SL, so there's a lot of wasted space in windows without a lot of content. And, more importantly, when viewing larger amounts of content, the zoom doesn't actually expand the window to fit everything, like it used to -- you still have to either scroll, or resize the window manually to see it all.)

Edited on Aug 06, '11 08:20:34PM by Unsoluble

10.7: Window resizing options
Authored by: poenn on Aug 07, '11 03:39:20AM

Sorry, but I donít get that. It works fine for me with all Finder windows. The green + button resizes the window to the space needed to display all content. Clicking it again goes back to the way the window was before. Am I missing something?

10.7: Window resizing options
Authored by: Unsoluble on Aug 07, '11 09:25:26PM
If you're always getting a perfectly sized-to-fit window when clicking the green button, then you're extremely lucky. I can't tell what the algorithm behind it is, but I can assure you that 90% of my windows do not fit all their content after hitting the green -- I almost always have to pull down the bottom edge to fit the rest. Some do indeed fit! But it's very rare over here.

10.7: Window resizing options
Authored by: poenn on Aug 08, '11 01:31:21AM

I am not using the green button that much so itís totally possible that Iíve missed out on that problem. :-) But thanks for taking the time to clarify!

10.7: Window resizing options
Authored by: sipatel on Aug 11, '11 04:04:42AM

I have always used the green button to exactly resize Finder windows, which are always displayed by List, sorted by Kind, use 10pt text and the larger of the two icons offered. Also, I always display the Toolbar and Status Bar, sometime display the Path Bar but never use the Sidebar.

In SL, if you had multiple windows open, you could fit-to-content all the windows with OPT+Green Button and things looked neat and tidy.

Even System 8 and 9 offered these options. No longer.

It appears that the default action in Lion is that if you have a folder with four files in it, the window will have a fixed size to accommodate almost 5 icons (the fifth icon gets clipped at the bottom). If you have more than five files, the window will resize but clip the last icon, every time.

I have deleted every .DS_Store file which I believe is where the window display settings are stored and no joy. Every new folder window is set to open at a fixed size, and setting-up one Finder window and using that as a Default does not help at all.

I am not new to Macs -- my first personal Mac was a IIsi with System 6 installed and I have every System Apple has ever produced going back to pre-Macintosh days.

I'll just put it down to new designers/programmers joining Apple and only having had experience of recent versions of OSX, or maybe some of the iOS team have had a hand in Lion's UI?

10.7: Window resizing options
Authored by: Unsoluble on Aug 13, '11 08:30:31AM

Like I said earlier, this same thing (almost exactly) happened a few OS X versions ago, and then they fixed it a couple point releases later -- I'm really hoping they do the same this time around. :)