Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'How to overtype / overwrite text in Word (2008 & 2011)' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
How to overtype / overwrite text in Word (2008 & 2011)
Authored by: nadeem on Jun 07, '11 04:31:33AM

Thank you for the tip above here. I rarely use Overtype but occasionally it's invaluable for completing basically assembled forms in word where form authors have relied (a little annoyingly, albeit well intended) on the use of underscores to block out a fillable area.

Just as an fyi, for Microsoft Word 2011 on a Mac, to use Overtype you have the same two options you had on Office 2008.

Option #1: Set in preferences (less useful, bit fiddly, but quick for a one off)

Word > Preferences > Edit > Overtype (toggle box)

Option #2.: Add a Custom Menu command for "Overtype"

View > Toolbars > Customize Toolbars & Menus > (Click "Commands" tab) > (Click "All Commands" filter) > Overtype (drag either to menu or toolbar)

I put under "Edit" menu. If you really want the toolbar button, with Word 2011 and the new "Ribbon", it seems to only let you drag the custom toolbar entry to the toolbar at very top of the Word window.

Hope this helps - I was surprised at how tricky this was to find, too!

[ Reply to This | # ]