Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Reveal the password in a password field on a web page' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Reveal the password in a password field on a web page
Authored by: fracai on Mar 31, '11 08:40:37AM

Unless you forget your password immediately after typing it, wouldn't it be easier to just open the Keychain and find the password there? Firefox has its own password store, but will reveal passwords there as well.

---
i am jack's amusing sig file

Reveal the password in a password field on a web page
Authored by: mantrid on Mar 31, '11 09:13:32AM

Well yes, the keychain would be easier if it's your computer. On the other hand, if you're on somebody else's computer and don't know their keychain password, this is much easier!

Reveal the password in a password field on a web page
Authored by: macnixer on Mar 31, '11 11:28:49AM

I would not like to save my password on someone else's machine. It would be stupid to do so.

Reveal the password in a password field on a web page
Authored by: mantrid on Mar 31, '11 04:11:35PM

Wow, I'm sorry but WHOOOSH!

Reveal the password in a password field on a web page
Authored by: andrew_zinn on Mar 31, '11 09:58:55AM

I find searching through my length keychain to find a website to be a hassle. I have multiple other layers of security (screensaver, login, etc.) and am not worried about others seeing my password. Thanks for this hint, especially the Showpass extension.

Reveal the password in a password field on a web page
Authored by: macnixer on Mar 31, '11 11:34:21AM

Keychain has a search field and it can filter data fast for you. I use my keychain heavily with search.

This hint is very interesting if you just want to know your password without a visit to the Keychain, other than that it also shows the security threat in the system. I will not allow anyone on my machine anymore with my login - even for a minute. Switch to guest and have your own glorious time.

Reveal the password in a password field on a web page
Authored by: Frederico on Mar 31, '11 12:13:30PM

I find the Search Keychains (Spotlight) feature in Keychains to be stunningly precise in its ability to use disparate keywords and I can find a given key in seconds.

Command-Space; type 'keych'; press enter; focus is already on Search Keychains; type partial root domain and/or part of account name; press enter; get results. Easy peasy.

Definitely not faster than ShowPass and the like, but I've gotten over the want to add reams of extensions and troubleshooting it brings along with it.

However, this hint is not reflective of my usual need for Keychain Access; that is generally when a website presents me with a new page or design where my Keychain/Safari fails to recognize the request and I have no clue what to enter at all.

I don't know how useful this hint is for an honest user, but it is certainly disconcerting to realize how simple a keychain can be overridden if you have access to the screen; this is something I will have to advise additional users who share accounts.

Reveal the password in a password field on a web page
Authored by: andrew_zinn on Mar 31, '11 01:17:13PM

Searching keychains with Spotlight is a great hint in and of itself. Thanks!