Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.6: Gather Finder Items with a new Service' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.6: Gather Finder Items with a new Service
Authored by: Frederico on Mar 10, '11 10:36:59AM

Yes, I saw that script before rolling my own; again, none of the scripts posted here or anywhere else I easily found could work with Folders *directly* in the Trash or other System-owned folders, and will throw -1700 permissions errors.

I can't believe I'm the only one who needs to work in such restricted directories, hence my posting this alternative.

I've been using the Unsanity Fruit Menu haxie since it was in original beta form, since the literal birth of OS X, and I'd come to rely on it for many features; but changes in my actual work have negated it only to its Contextual menu features, and a couple other minor toys that I am able to recreate either with Services or *native* cocoa apps that don't cause other conflicts.

I will still miss APE and MenuMaster; this last simple tool allowed me to fix an issue with Adobe GoLive that is not fixable in any other way, and will force me to finally spend money on a new web development app and relearn a set of skills and workflows I have no interest in doing, but must still maintain a few websites. PITA. In the meantime I only activate APE and MenuMaster when I need to work in GoLive; which is just a drag for having to logout/login/logout to cycle the features.

10.6: Gather Finder Items with a new Service
Authored by: NaOH-Lye on Mar 10, '11 10:56:18AM

Sorry about that. I regularly use the script I linked, and I was certain I've used it with files in the Trash. I should have tested first.

10.6: Gather Finder Items with a new Service
Authored by: NaOH-Lye on Mar 10, '11 10:59:48AM

So what is it that MenuMaster allows you to to GoLive?

10.6: Gather Finder Items with a new Service
Authored by: Frederico on Mar 14, '11 11:38:27PM

AGL (nee CyberStudio) has several hidden, undocumented keyboard shortcuts that, because they do not exist in Menubar menus, are not modifiable by OS X Keyboard Shortcuts; nor are they included in the built-in Keystroke Editor from Adobe; worse, a few of these hidden keystrokes were stepped on by OS X System global keystrokes (that Adobe failed to note had been deprecated and warned of two years prior).

MenuMaster is the only fast, easy, reliable method to "inject" shortcut overrides at a System level; most notably, MM allows you to actually REMOVE keystrokes altogether; e.g., the OS X global Preferences keystroke is Command-[comma]; MM actually lets you *delete* this keystroke altogether, thus allowing the Command-[comma] keystroke to be passed through to AGL core code.

Alas, while MM is out in beta form for Snow Leopard, it's pretty unreliable for production/full-time use; and it took Unsanity something like 18 months to get it that far, and it has not been updated in nearly 6 months since; so I have zero confidence it will, one, become stable ever, and two, be updated for Lion. Though that point is moot, apparently; as even if Unsanity comes through, Apple seemingly has deprecated Rosetta, and all carbon & PowerPC apps will die, anyway.

As I said, I do not develop for Web anymore, but maintain dozens of (low-tech, but fully functional) sites created in AGL, and, as the maintenance pays little, I have no real desire to not only buy new software, but learn said software, either.

I am *PRAYING* for a VM solution with Lion that allows me to run not only SL, but, even better, 10.5 Leopard in VM; which was the last version that AGL *and* MM lived together reliably. Heck, I probably will even drop back to Tiger, if not Panther, given that all I intend to run in a VM would be AGL 6 and Photoshop (6 or 7), Illustrator (10) or CS3 (suite) for short amounts of time.

10.6: Gather Finder Items with a new Service
Authored by: JMoVS on Mar 11, '11 01:57:02PM

Hey, did you think about folder actions like this example script woking absolutely fine for me in Trash?
Just modify it for your needs!

10.6: Gather Finder Items with a new Service
Authored by: Frederico on Mar 14, '11 11:43:00PM

Folder Actions are somewhat intriguing, thanks for the suggestion.

I already make extensive use of FA in many other tasks; I had not considered it for the Trash and yanking .IPA files. The thing is, I tend to be selective on which IPAs I actually save; many times I really don't care to archive every single version of every single app. By reviewing it manually each time, I only select and archive those which matter.

It would take only a bit of adjustment, I think, to know that *ALL* IPAs are being archived, and force myself to review the actual archives once a week or so to cull the chaff and prevent wasted disk and Time Machine space.

I'll report back if I get a functional FA working with the Trash.