Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Total iPhone Backup - for what?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Total iPhone Backup - for what?
Authored by: macnixer on Feb 17, '11 09:20:57AM

I really am with some other posters. What is the purpose of the backup? Nice to know that I can backup?

I have used the regular backup and have restored my iPhone(s) many times over but never needed it to come from some special backup.

Cracko: Just having a hint does not suffice it's purpose. Please drop such hints that have no use.

Someone could say - 'Why I read this hint in the first place?', my answer would be, 'To find out what the author has for us to do with the backup. Is there some advantage? No.'

Total iPhone Backup - for what?
Authored by: rusty on Feb 17, '11 09:59:32AM

Also, without information about how a total restore could be done from a total backup performed in this way, I don't believe this hint holds much utility.

Total iPhone Backup - for what?
Authored by: everkleer80 on Feb 17, '11 10:49:10AM
Everyone has a reason for their hints. Whether other users agree with it shouldn't determine its relevance. The author mentioned in the hint that iTunes doesn't back up everything that he/she wants, and another user clarified this above:
Syncing to iTunes certainly doesn’t back up everything—it doesn’t even try to back up music and caches, and there have been sporadic reports of third-party data not getting restored properly. And restoring via iTunes is a very slow process. Whether restoring via this approach is a better alternative is a separate question, of course.

Total iPhone Backup - for what?
Authored by: Anonymous on Feb 17, '11 11:35:50AM

While there have been some trivial hints before, I think this falls under the category "badly wrote" rather than "purposeless".

Is it for jailbroken phones only? What iOS versions does it work on?

Total iPhone Backup - for what?
Authored by: astack on Feb 17, '11 02:52:22PM

It's not badly written, you are just ignorant. It treats the iphone as it actually is, a device with it's own operating system and file structure and makes a copy of that file structure. It doesn't matter which iOS version.

Total iPhone Backup - for what?
Authored by: Anonymous on Feb 18, '11 10:45:36AM

No, it's poorly written. Take a look at that rsync command and the prerequisites. Note the commenters asking if it applies only to jailbroken iOS devices.

Who's "ignorant"?

Total iPhone Backup - for what?
Authored by: astack on Feb 18, '11 02:48:38PM
Ignorant -- adj. 1. Lacking knowledge or awareness in general. I understand precisely what the command does and the hint makes perfect sense to me and is concise and understandable. If you don't know what rsync does or don't know how your iphone works, i.e. you are ignorant, that is not the fault of the hint writer. Next time perhaps you could do a little googling on your own instead of roasting the hint submitter. Jailbreaking the device or the iOS version has nothing at all to do with this hint, I can't imagine why the thought would even occur to the submitter to inform people of those things. Considering I get 706 hits on this site alone for rsync, it's reasonable to expect the readers of this site to be less lazy and not expect every single hint to tailor to their precise needs/level of knowledge.

Total iPhone Backup - for what?
Authored by: everkleer80 on Feb 21, '11 09:51:01AM

Just thought I'd mention that I for one was not aware that this hint did not require jailbreaking. Can you really mount and access your whole filesystem without jailbreaking?

Total iPhone Backup - for what?
Authored by: jayhawkbabe on Feb 21, '11 11:57:29AM

Not in my experience. I posted about it somewhere on this link, but I'm only able to mount media using PhoneView on an unjailbroken iOS device. PhoneView will mount media AND root for a jailbroken device as I recall.

Total iPhone Backup - requires jailbreak
Authored by: everkleer80 on Feb 22, '11 05:58:19AM

That's what I thought. (I didn't actually try it myself.) So this hint does require jailbreaking.

Total iPhone Backup - requires jailbreak
Authored by: mantrid on Feb 22, '11 06:11:58AM

Did any of the complainers even go to PhoneDisk link conveniently provided in the hint? Right on the developer's front page, it says "Works with or without jail breaking the device".

Bunch of stupid, whiny, lazy, and yes, ignorant bums.

Total iPhone Backup - requires jailbreak
Authored by: everkleer80 on Feb 22, '11 06:25:28AM

Umm... yes, PhoneDisk works, but as many have said, you can't access the root without jailbreaking.

From the FAQ on the website:

How do I get access to the real-root on my device?

Gaining access to the "real" root of the iPhone requires jailbreaking the device and in many cases installing "afc2add" from Cydia. Once you've got that figured out, from the Phone Disk menu make sure to connect to the "root" instead of the "media" one.
Perhaps you can tell us how to get a full system backup without having access to the whole system?

Total iPhone Backup - requires jailbreak
Authored by: crarko on Feb 22, '11 03:14:27PM

You are correct; to gain full access requires jailbreaking. I have amended the hint accordingly.

Craig A.

Total iPhone Backup - for what?
Authored by: makip on Feb 22, '11 05:32:55PM

It's arrogant to think that others might not have a use for this information, I can think of a half dozen reasons, none of which I might personally have a use for, to want to perform a manual full backup of an iPhone's file system.

Probably the most obvious one is perhaps the user doesn't want only an iTunes backup image file for restoring via iTunes; maybe they want a record of all app data period. For instance maybe the user has some data in an app that wont be restored as the app doesnt provide for it as they've switched phones. The app is not "buggy" it just doesn't offer the functionality to restore data from an online source like other apps. Or perhaps someone has an old text message or photo they desperately need to extract. You can maintain a history of and get to these databases and files easier with an rsync dump like this. I have personally restored ebooks libraries to eReader on to a new additional phone in exactly this way. This allowed me to keep the accompanying notes and bookmarks for each book, as the app doesnt provide for this. I no longer bother to jail break my phone but I think others who do and are technically minded might find this rather useful information.

It's best if people avoid expressing negative and superior attitudes and allow hints that might seem basic and useless to pass by without useless criticism.
I held my tongue on the recent "Using the Purchases Tab in Mac App Store" which I thought was rather obvious… I guess others did not.

The least useful thing on this page is not he hint, it's actually your comment. So you didn't find the hint useful... move along.

Edited on Feb 22, '11 05:35:14PM by makip

Total iPhone Backup - for what?
Authored by: philostein on Feb 23, '11 03:43:06AM