Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Automatically delete Mac OS X dot files from MS-DOS filesystems' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Automatically delete Mac OS X dot files from MS-DOS filesystems
Authored by: Anonymous on Feb 07, '11 08:46:11AM
You forgot the final step: "Never update your system" :-P
I prefer Do Something When.

Automatically delete Mac OS X dot files from MS-DOS filesystems
Authored by: lsloan on Feb 07, '11 11:39:41AM

Yes! You're absolutely right. :)

I'll probably do a bit more work on my script, maybe make an installer for it so that it's easy to reinstall after an update.

---
Lance E Sloan

Automatically delete Mac OS X dot files from MS-DOS filesystems
Authored by: lsloan on Feb 08, '11 08:34:31AM

In response to your comment, I looked up "Do Something When". It's a great concept and I'd rather use something like that than the wrapper I wrote for umount.

However, the site for DSW seems to be down more often than it's up, but I did manage to get connected after a while and download it. I installed it, then ran the preference pane. I was told that to use it, System Preferences would need to restart. I've seen that kind of thing before, so I wasn't surprised. The surprise came when I quit System Preferences, then some time later opened the DSW pane again. System Preferences again told me that it would need to restart. So as an experiment, I quit System Preferences and reopened the pane several times in a row. *Every time* System Preferences said it needed to restart.

Then I looked into the contents of the prefPane for DSW. I found that it contains multiple nested copies of itself. I think something is very wrong there. I think the developer needs to do some work on it.

Also, I wish that DSW could be told to run its rules on volumes of a certain type rather than specific names. I use a lot of external USB drives and I hate to make a rule for each one of them.

I hope the author will make some updates to DSW soon.

---
Lance E Sloan

Automatically delete Mac OS X dot files from MS-DOS filesystems
Authored by: displaced on Feb 08, '11 08:45:50AM

The System Preferences restarts are most likely nothing to worry about.

Presumably you're running a Mac that's 64-bit capable. But it appears DSW's System Preferences plugin is still 32-bit only. The 64-bit System Preferences process needs to quit and re-open in 32-bit mode in order to load the DSW plugin.

You can verify this by checking the title bar of the System Preferences window after it's restarted. It'll say something like <b>Do Something When (32-bit)</b>

Automatically delete Mac OS X dot files from MS-DOS filesystems
Authored by: lsloan on Feb 08, '11 11:13:55AM

Yes, you're right, it did say "32-bit" when it ran. The restarts are annoying, but that's not the main reason I don't like it.

---
Lance E Sloan

Automatically delete Mac OS X dot files from MS-DOS filesystems
Authored by: Anonymous on Feb 08, '11 09:13:20AM

Interesting. I installed it a while ago when it worked, so I didn't get that little surprise.

Okay, so don't use DSW until it's fixed.