Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Apple knows about the bug' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Apple knows about the bug
Authored by: sr105 on Feb 01, '11 09:51:28AM

I filed a bug about 1-2 years ago about the eye dropper in the built-in color picker not working. They closed the bug as a duplicate of a known issue. So, they've known about it for a while and just haven't fixed it.

Apple knows about lots of bugs, but doesn't do anything
Authored by: jgh23 on Feb 02, '11 02:33:05AM

(Foreword: I've been with Apple since way back. This is a simply vent of recent frustration. I'm sorry to visit this on macworld, but the comment by sr105

"So, they've known about it for a while and just haven't fixed it."

really brought it home that there are others that may feel equally - or more - frustrated!)

Let's be honest, Apple must get millions of bug reports, and duplicates must also number millions.

But increasingly I'm getting frustrated that they fix only those that meet (some invisible) criteria, and that the system for reporting them - spend your valuable time documenting the bug then throw it over the wall - allows apple to do this.

Reporting bugs is a serious business, and apple do take it seriously. Good natured professionals report bugs that affect their workflow in the hope of having them fixed. But they're not fixed, they're just left to affect the whole professional community's practice. Apple may care deeply about the professionals that use their systems, but they don't *appear* to care.

Can macworld not do a bugs.macworld.com (based on the wonderful hints.macworld.com) that allows the time creating a bug report - and the bug report itself as well as any work arounds - to be shared by the community? It could be very popular!

Or perhaps there is such a page, and I just don't know.

From my perspective, this seems a no brainer. But then perhaps like the scarecrow, I just need a brain.

Best, Jon

Apple knows about lots of bugs, but doesn't do anything
Authored by: sr105 on Feb 02, '11 06:23:43AM

I agree. I wish you could search their bug database or at least just the user submitted bugs. They provide no way of knowing that you're just wasting your time, and in my experience writing a good bug report to Apple takes <i>at least</i> 15-30 minutes once you start including screenshots.

Apple knows about lots of bugs, but doesn't do anything
Authored by: jgh23 on Feb 02, '11 06:44:27AM

How do we get the message out?

Is macworld listening (cups hand to ear)... Helloooo ... crarko!

Apple knows about lots of bugs, but doesn't do anything
Authored by: crarko on Feb 02, '11 08:59:39AM

I don't have any more pull with Apple than you do. If enough people file the same bug report with them perhaps that will get their attention.

Apple knows about lots of bugs, but doesn't do anything
Authored by: jgh23 on Feb 02, '11 12:18:27PM

Crarko,

I was unclear, sorry: I meant would

bugs.macworld.com

have legs?

Best, Jon

(PS Sorry to Glutnix, too, for hijacking their thread)