Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Free Up That Disk Space - iPhoto' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Free Up That Disk Space - iPhoto
Authored by: sd on Jan 20, '11 09:08:08AM

to free up disk space... empty the trash.
So smart!

OK iPhoto has its own trash, but really does this deserve a hint?

Free Up That Disk Space - iPhoto
Authored by: BlaatMekker on Jan 20, '11 10:03:48AM

It's even showing up in my sidebar, how can you miss that?

Free Up That Disk Space - iPhoto
Authored by: digs0 on Jan 20, '11 10:18:37AM

Honestly I think it does merit a hint, just because it's not really standard behavior for an app to have its own trash. iTunes will ask if you want to delete files, but iPhoto doesn't do that. So I'm sure there are plenty of people out there (newbies perhaps) who thought they were freeing up disk space when they actually weren't. Good hint.

---
DJR

Free Up That Disk Space - iPhoto
Authored by: hughescr on Jan 20, '11 10:54:30AM

The iPhoto trash is not only not the same as the finder trash, but most people don't know it's even there.

And on top of that, it doesn't work like every other "Trash" out there, in that when you run out of space, it doesn't automatically empty itself. And if you quit iPhoto, the trash is still there, but you can't even see it or access it.

I filed a bug report on this stupid mis-feature in iPhoto about 4 years ago.

Free Up That Disk Space - iPhoto
Authored by: TvE on Jan 22, '11 05:21:40AM

I have *never* seen my Mac OS empty my Trash for me - what I have seen when getting low on free disk space though is a warning popping up alerting me to my problem.

I would consider it rude for an OS to empty my trash behind my back (maybe Winblow$ does it like that I have never examined it but have noticed a setting for how large many % are reserved for the trash or something like thatů