Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.6: Keyboard shortcut for switching between input sources' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.6: Keyboard shortcut for switching between input sources
Authored by: mantrid on Jan 19, '11 10:12:24AM

The command-spacebar input toggling and command-option-spacebar input cycling key combinations were in use in Apple language kits since at least the early nineties and having them hijacked by Spotlight was a source of irritation for many multilingual Mac users. But as this hint points out, at least it is possible to reconfigure to get it back (and yes, it has been possible prior to 10.6).

I still rarely use the Spotlight menu because of the obnoxious behavior of how Spotlight menu queries overwrite the separate "Find" query fields in other open apps.

If somebody has a hint to turn that off, it deserves $250.

10.6: Keyboard shortcut for switching between input sources
Authored by: babaloo on Jan 19, '11 03:33:26PM
Could you elaborate on that? I have no idea what you mean.

10.6: Keyboard shortcut for switching between input sources
Authored by: mantrid on Jan 20, '11 04:12:28PM

Sure. This is on 10.5.8. Imagine this scenario.

I have a long file open in TextEdit and I'm using Command-F or Command-G to search or re-search for the string "Jobs".

And I also have Safari open to a web page and I'm using Command-F to look for instances of "Wozniak".

Then coworker from across the room shouts over "hey, can you pull up a copy of the Ballmer file". Since that's something that's filed away and forgotten somewhere in the far reaches of the disk, I pull up the Spotlight menu and go to type "Ballmer", but before I even finish, coworker calls across and says "never mind, I don't need it".

So I go back to Safari and TextEdit to pick up where I left off and hit Command-F and instead of seeing the next occurence of "Jobs" and "Wozniak" hilighted, neither app finds anything (or worse they do) because suddenly the "Find" search string in those apps are now set to search for "Ballme".

Maybe it isn't a big deal because it isn't so hard to retype "Jobs" or "Wozniak", but imagine if I was looking for a long catalog number, or a whole sentence cut and pasted out of another document that has since been closed.

Not only that, but if it jumps to "Ballme", you lose your place so that suppose you had been working on the 23rd instance of the "Wozniak" before being interrupted. Unless you already have an idea of where you were, you have to start at the beginning and scrutinize every match until you find the one you were working on.

Using Spotlight through Finder's Find doesn't have this effect so it's ok but the menu is utter crap.

10.6: Keyboard shortcut for switching between input sources
Authored by: everkleer80 on Jan 21, '11 06:58:28AM

What?? That's crazy! If it was happening in 10.5.8, I'd be really surprised if it's not fixed by now, but I'm going to try this as soon as I get home. I'll try to remember to post my results.

10.6: Keyboard shortcut for switching between input sources
Authored by: babaloo on Jan 21, '11 11:51:53AM

Ok, now I get it.

But I'm on 10.6.6 and can't reproduce that behavior. I tested it with a Safari-Find-operation running and invoking Spotlight via the Shortcut. When I came back to Safari, its search/find-operation was still running.

And it didn't matter whether I left Safari with the search field highlighted, with a found instance highlighted or even with the search field closed - every time it remembered the searchterm.

10.6: Keyboard shortcut for switching between input sources
Authored by: asmeurer on Jan 21, '11 01:16:03PM
Yes, this is actually considered a feature. There is a special "find" clipboard that gets overridden by different find mechanisms. See the man page of pbpaste. There's probably a hidden preference to remove it.

10.6: Keyboard shortcut for switching between input sources
Authored by: everkleer80 on Jan 21, '11 08:34:25PM

If it was a 'feature' then why did they remove it in SL? (And no, I wouldn't want this 'feature'...) But I agree that there must be some way to remove this behavior by using the 'defaults' command (or manually editing plist files.) I'd try to find it, but I don't have a Leopard machine to reproduce the issue on.

10.6: Keyboard shortcut for switching between input sources
Authored by: asmeurer on Jan 22, '11 11:21:33AM

It hasn't been removed from Snow Leopard. Maybe Spotlight doesn't participate in it anymore, but for normal find dialogs, the feature is definitely still there. And I do agree with you btw that it is annoying and very rarely useful.