Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.6: Limitations of TextWrangler or BBEdit from the Mac App Store' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.6: Limitations of TextWrangler or BBEdit from the Mac App Store
Authored by: JiNt on Jan 13, '11 07:00:50AM

Guys! Quit referring to yourselves as "Power Users" if you can't figure out that the Mac App Store was not made for you. You guys can continue with normal app purchases and follow their update process. The Mac App Store is there to assist users who don't know where to look for software other than the shelves of Best Buy or Target. Users who rarely check for updates on their software. Users who don't know they can come to sites like this one for software reviews and advice.

10.6: Limitations of TextWrangler or BBEdit from the Mac App Store
Authored by: crarko on Jan 13, '11 07:47:12AM

I wouldn't normally consider that type of user as the target market for BBEdit.

10.6: Limitations of TextWrangler or BBEdit from the Mac App Store
Authored by: JiNt on Jan 14, '11 02:10:42PM

I agree but then people would cry because Apple is limiting the type of apps.

10.6: Limitations of TextWrangler or BBEdit from the Mac App Store
Authored by: everkleer80 on Jan 17, '11 09:04:49AM

I would like to see the full versions of these available, but if Apple will not allow them, then I think BareBones should not have included them from the App Store - mainly so users that want the extra features and are unaware of these limitations don't purchase them through the App Store, but also why are they rewarding Apple for making them cripple their software? Aside from this, they should've at least appended some word like 'lite' or 'limited' to the app titles.

But speaking of apps not being available in the store, where are Dropbox and 1Password? These are always the first two apps I download on any iOS device, and the first two I expected to see in the store.

10.6: Limitations of TextWrangler or BBEdit from the Mac App Store
Authored by: asmeurer on Jan 13, '11 01:19:30PM

Well, the App Store has finally implemented something that even I, as power user, have been waiting for for a long time, which is a unified updating mechanism for third party applications. But if updating through the App Store is going to cripple my most used programs, then it is completely useless.

And by the way, I would rather pay for an application through the App Store than through PayPal. That has nothing to do with me being a power user or not.

10.6: Limitations of TextWrangler or BBEdit from the Mac App Store
Authored by: JiNt on Jan 14, '11 02:15:24PM

Understand the two added benefits of a single payment venue and updating method but the App Store is still not for users looking for Power Apps like TextMate, BBEdit, etc... I truly believe that Apple's restrictions are to provided the non techie an easy to use environment just like all of it's iOS devices.