Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Quick fix for Save/Open folder bug' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Quick fix for Save/Open folder bug
Authored by: jolinwarren on Dec 29, '10 12:35:10PM
I can confirm this bug, and it has been around since at least 10.5. I think those who are saying it doesn't exist don't understand what the bug is. You can reproduce it with the following steps (all in the Save dialogue's list view):

1. In a Save sheet/dialogue, click (once) on a folder to select it.
  2. Click in the 'Save As:' text entry field and type a name.
  3. Notice the default button at the bottom of the sheet is titled 'Save'. However, hitting return (in the text entry field) or clicking the button just opens the folder that is selected.
You can also replace step (1) with, "In a Save sheet/dialogue, press cmd+up arrow to move to the enclosing folder." When you press cmd+up arrow in a save sheet, the folder you moved up from is automatically 'selected' even though the focus stays on the text entry field. And the same 'open folder instead of saving' bug occurs, which is very frustrating. Note that this is different behaviour than if you move up a folder by using the pop-up menu with the folder's name to navigate. In that case, no folder is selected when you change to the enclosing folder.

I'd never thought of going up again and then down as this hint suggests, and it's very useful as now I can keep my hands on the keyboard!
Edited on Dec 29, '10 12:36:20PM by jolinwarren

Quick fix for Save/Open folder bug
Authored by: mkhaw on Dec 29, '10 05:05:12PM

I'm on 10.6.5. I followed the recipe given. Hitting return (or clicking Save) saved the file into the file dialog's current folder; it did not open the selected folder.

Note: I use Default Folder. Perhaps it does the right thing when the native OS X file dialog wouldn't.

Quick fix for Save/Open folder bug
Authored by: jolinwarren on Dec 30, '10 02:21:56AM

That's interesting that with Default Folder you don't see this bug. I wonder if that 'fixes' it. I don't have Default Folder or any open/save dialogue modifications.

Quick fix for Save/Open folder bug
Authored by: renaultssoftware on Dec 30, '10 07:30:16AM

Just did the same in Safari. Absolutely no problem. Probably for *some* apps only.

---

Quick fix for Save/Open folder bug
Authored by: simsamsep on Dec 30, '10 11:00:30AM

When I do a "Save as" in Safari, I still see the problematic behavior. When in list view, instead of saving in the opened folder, a selected folder will open when the Save button is clicked. And moving up in the hierarchy using command-arrow up will select the folder you came from, resulting in again opening the folder you came from when the Save button is clicked instead of saving in the folder that was opened.

I see this in 10.6.5 and it is only a problem with the dialog in list view, not with the dialog in column view.

I do not know if this is a recent change in Snow Leopard. I tried this in 10.4.11 on my PowerBook and there clicking Save will not open a selected folder but will save in the opened folder.

In Mac OS 9, when a folder is selected, the Save button changes to 'Open' and one can open the selected folder by clicking that button. In fact the same behavior in Mac OS X 10.6.5 as in Mac OS 9, only now the button does not change from Save to Open when a folder is selected.

Edited on Dec 30, '10 11:03:47AM by simsamsep

Quick fix for Save/Open folder bug
Authored by: apta on Jan 04, '11 03:01:46PM

The problem doesn't appear in 10.5.8 with Safari 4.0.5 nor Mail.