Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Transfer a Time Machine volume to a larger disk' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Transfer a Time Machine volume to a larger disk
Authored by: david-bo on Dec 17, '10 05:54:58AM

Restore the disk image to the new drive.

---
link

Transfer a Time Machine volume to a larger disk
Authored by: ebernet on Dec 17, '10 06:53:45AM

yeah, you can't do that...

Transfer a Time Machine volume to a larger disk
Authored by: david-bo on Dec 17, '10 07:56:11AM

Yes you can. I have done it. Several times.

---
link

Transfer a Time Machine volume to a larger disk
Authored by: everkleer80 on Dec 17, '10 10:45:07AM

When you say you've done this, do you mean with a TM volume, or just in general? I tried this with my TM volume almost a year ago and if I remember correctly, it was I lot harder than I expected it to be - in fact I'm not sure I ever found a solution. I'm pretty sure this is what I was doing and I even tried restoring through disk util and some command line tools. In the end I think I just started over with my backups.

Transfer a Time Machine volume to a larger disk
Authored by: ebernet on Dec 17, '10 11:44:47AM

I tried to drag the sparse file image into the restore tab in disk utility, while having the time capsule drive mounted in the Finder, and Time Machine off, and disk utility refused to accept it as a source.

Transfer a Time Machine volume to a larger disk
Authored by: tempel on Dec 18, '10 04:32:02AM

Yeah, it would help if you could describe which component were involved, exactly.

I do not own a Time Capsule, but I am pretty sure that "Restore" in Disk Utility only works towards directly, non-networked, disks, as it needs access to their partition table. Therefore, TC can't ever be the destination of a Restore, or can it?

OTOH, taking any sparse disk img file as the source should work when restoring to a local disk/partition. Only that this requires the "Scan Image for Restore..." operation in DU first.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Transfer a Time Machine volume to a larger disk
Authored by: david-bo on Jan 24, '11 07:13:44AM

IIRC, I did it to a firewire volume directly attached to the computer, Time Capsule - yeah yeah, drink the cool aid.

---