Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Transfer a Time Machine volume to a larger disk' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Authored by: ebernet on Dec 16, '10 10:08:42AM

I wish there was a way to transfer from a sparse file on a Time Capsule to another drive. I was backing up my Mac Pro to my Time Capsule (I know, crazy idea to begin with) and ran out of space and decided to use the TC for just my laptop, and get an internal 2 TB for my Mac Pro for Time Machine. Well, for the life of me I could not figure out how to do this, I tried all sorts fo tricks, none seemed to work. I ended up giving up and starting over after copy some select files I wanted an old copy of off of my Time Capsule (for example, an old iPhoto Library).
Does anyone know how to do this?

Authored by: david-bo on Dec 17, '10 05:54:58AM

Restore the disk image to the new drive.

---
link

Authored by: ebernet on Dec 17, '10 06:53:45AM

yeah, you can't do that...

Authored by: david-bo on Dec 17, '10 07:56:11AM

Yes you can. I have done it. Several times.

---
link

Authored by: everkleer80 on Dec 17, '10 10:45:07AM

When you say you've done this, do you mean with a TM volume, or just in general? I tried this with my TM volume almost a year ago and if I remember correctly, it was I lot harder than I expected it to be - in fact I'm not sure I ever found a solution. I'm pretty sure this is what I was doing and I even tried restoring through disk util and some command line tools. In the end I think I just started over with my backups.

Authored by: ebernet on Dec 17, '10 11:44:47AM

I tried to drag the sparse file image into the restore tab in disk utility, while having the time capsule drive mounted in the Finder, and Time Machine off, and disk utility refused to accept it as a source.

Authored by: tempel on Dec 18, '10 04:32:02AM

Yeah, it would help if you could describe which component were involved, exactly.

I do not own a Time Capsule, but I am pretty sure that "Restore" in Disk Utility only works towards directly, non-networked, disks, as it needs access to their partition table. Therefore, TC can't ever be the destination of a Restore, or can it?

OTOH, taking any sparse disk img file as the source should work when restoring to a local disk/partition. Only that this requires the "Scan Image for Restore..." operation in DU first.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Authored by: david-bo on Jan 24, '11 07:13:44AM

IIRC, I did it to a firewire volume directly attached to the computer, Time Capsule - yeah yeah, drink the cool aid.

---
link

Authored by: everkleer80 on Dec 17, '10 10:58:31AM

I don't know if it's documented or supported by Apple, but I found out that you can just use a sparse image for your backups on a local drive. As you know, TM will only create a sparse image for the backup if it's on a network volume, but if you just put that sparse image on the root of the drive you use for TM, then TM will automatically use the image for it's backups. The only caveat I've found to this is that to restore from the backup you have to manully mount the image and go to Browse Other Time Machine Disks. I don't restore files that often though so this isn't too big a hassle, and I have been using this solution for about a year now with no problems.

Authored by: ebernet on Dec 17, '10 11:46:16AM

Yeah, I don't want to do it in that fashion. I like the integration, for example, I doubt in that manner I'd be able to restore a lost contact from within addressbook.

Authored by: everkleer80 on Dec 17, '10 12:17:23PM

You can; I've done it... You still have to manually mount the image and choose Browse Othe Time Machine Disks, but if you do that while Address Book is active then the Address Book TM interface comes up, same as normal. I've even been able to use it to do a full system restore after booting from the SL CD - I forget how that worked but I remember it was fairly easy.

Third party programs like Time Tracker still work too. In fact, I haven't used Time Tracker in a while, but I don't think it required me to manually mount the volume.

Authored by: chucky23 on Dec 17, '10 02:27:17PM

"As you know, TM will only create a sparse image for the backup if it's on a network volume, but if you just put that sparse image on the root of the drive you use for TM, then TM will automatically use the image for it's backups."

That is VERY cool, everkleer80.

I've learned two highly useful things on this thread.