Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'It doesn't work for me' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
It doesn't work for me
Authored by: satcomer on Sep 24, '02 11:49:27AM

I've tried the hint but still no installed updates show in System Preferences. I'm at a lost.

It doesn't work for me
Authored by: barrysharp on Sep 24, '02 03:40:12PM

My experience was the exactly the same as "hayne" reported. That is, after quitting System Preferences and relaunching it the problem disappeared.

It doesn't work for me
Authored by: sfn on Sep 24, '02 05:20:00PM

If you are saying that previously installed updates do not show up then you probably installed 10.2 as an update. There is a problem with the privileges on /Library/Logs.

It should be drwxrwxr-x root admin.

To correct this issue do this in the Terminal.app:
sudo chmod g+w /Library/Logs

It doesn't work for me
Authored by: mumkin on Sep 24, '02 11:58:21PM

Hmm. I had the constant 10.2.1 update problem, but it went away. Not sure why.

I *still* have the problem of my Installed Updates tab being blank ... just checked the permissions on /Library/Logs and indeed, it was not as you specified. Strange, because I have run Disk Copy's Repair Permissions tool a couple of times since the update (to fix other annoyances).

It doesn't work for me
Authored by: water451 on Sep 25, '02 12:45:05AM
I tried this, and then ran Software Update, with no acknowledgement that there was an update beyond iTunes 3.0.1. I then quit and tried again, and then rebooted and tried again, to no avail. I then proceeded to the area on Apple's website for the patch and downloaded and attempted to apply the patch via that installer package, but it did not acknowledge my 10.2.1 partition (I also have a non-bootable partition which regularly is invalid for such installations) as being acceptable for installing it. About This Mac tells me that the version is 10.2.1, so there is some discrepancy.

It doesn't work for me
Authored by: satcomer on Sep 25, '02 10:05:52AM

I did the sudo comand and zapp the pram but still Software Update-Installed Updates Log. All the updates are here (I check Receipts). Any ideas?

It doesn't work for me
Authored by: sfn on Sep 26, '02 09:09:06AM

Sorry, should have been more specific. This fix will only allow Software Update to be able to write to the log. Any future updates should show up but any previous updates are lost.

The incorrect permissions prevented the log from being created at all.

It doesn't work for me
Authored by: serg on Sep 25, '02 04:46:16AM

What I found helped was shutting down the mac completly and then zapp the PRAM