Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Why the Time Machine hate?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Why the Time Machine hate?
Authored by: asmeurer on Oct 05, '10 09:26:24AM

I was wondering the same thing: why wouldn't you trust Time Machine? The only reason I can think of is that it isn't secure (encrypted), but this hint doesn't even address that.

Why the Time Machine hate?
Authored by: tedw on Oct 05, '10 10:45:04AM

It's a trust issue, I think. Time Machine is a prepackaged high-level utility. Some people feel more comfortable with the detailed control you get by implementing low level utilities, where you're always sure what's going on. For instance, I do my own backups using rsync rather than time machine (though in truth that's mostly because my backup drive has limited space - time machine is a bit of a disk hog).

Why the Time Machine hate?
Authored by: zpjet on Oct 05, '10 11:58:54PM

But even TimeMachine being "prepackaged high-level", it stores files in the most simple and smart way - using the hard links to do incremental backups. You can always find the files straight on the disk.

Which is the reason why it's the "disk hog" - it doesn't compress the files, but why, when prices of disks are going down every day?

Why the Time Machine hate?
Authored by: tedw on Oct 06, '10 01:38:45AM

true, but you can do the same thing with rsync, with more control and more transparency. if control and transparency are what you're after...

Why the Time Machine hate?
Authored by: Anonymous on Oct 06, '10 01:08:21PM

Time Machine is two things: 1. a frontend to an rsync-based archiver, and 2. a UI to navigate backups created by rsync.

It would be really very straightforward to use part 2 to navigate, and write your own #1 that does everything the same way as Time Machine.

Why the Time Machine hate?
Authored by: tedw on Oct 06, '10 01:52:58PM

Well, the problem with this, as I see it, is that I don't know how to use TM as a front end without setting it up to actually start making backups. if you design your own rsync thingee, I can't see any way to get it to work with TM. Plus, I personally use an updated version of rsync (rsync 3.0.x handles resources forks better than the 2.6.9 version that ships with leopard and snow leopard), but I don't know whether TM uses the system version of rsync or its own internal implementation, and I don't know what the changes in options keys from 2.6.9 to 3.0.x (which are noteworthy) would do to TM. that's just one of those black-box problems that comes from working with pre-structured interfaces.

Why the Time Machine hate?
Authored by: afingal on Oct 05, '10 11:03:56AM

I don't hate Time Machine but I do think it has some issues and limitations which need to be taken into account. I haven't seen anyone else either who actually hates Time Machine. Some people take complaints too seriously.

Time Machine lacks important options for controlling what to backup, where and how often. This creates a variety of both performance and privacy problems. Yes, there are a bunch of configurations you can do and third-party utilities which help but they are not simple and obvious for the average user.

One problem I have had personally is that Time Machine frequently corrupts the filesystem on the backup drive. I end up having to run Disk Warrior on it frequently. On the hardware side, time machine has also run two of my external drives into the ground because of how much read/write activity it creates backing up everything, every hour.

From the standpoint of a computer support provider, the biggest headache with Time Machine is that users think that Time Machine with an external HD is all they need and they don't make offsite backups. If you have a fire, flood, etc. the everything is gone. We had this happen. A plumbing leak on the floor above killed both the internal HD and Time Machine backup for someone where I work.

Don't get me wrong. I think Time Machine is a good option and I use it in spite of its shortcomings. However, I also use other things to make additional offsite backups (over the internet).

Why the Time Machine hate?
Authored by: agentx on Oct 08, '10 01:38:11AM

TM is Ok but is prone to issues and when a Logic board change sit is a bit of a nightmare to put right without creating a new TM backup.
It is far from sure when it does its backup "trimming" what is being deleted from backup !

I always use TimeMachienEditor with TM it allows control over backup schedules.