Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Easy quitting of multitasking apps in iOS 4' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Easy quitting of multitasking apps in iOS 4
Authored by: RunLevelZero on Aug 31, '10 08:42:17AM

To quit all running apps you simply hold down the power button until the slide to power off comes up, once it does hold down the home button for about 7 seconds. All running apps will quit.

Easy quitting of multitasking apps in iOS 4
Authored by: SeanAhern on Aug 31, '10 09:35:32AM

Uh, no it doesn't. Or, at least, it doesn't work for me with the latest iOS 4 on my iPhone 4. I just tried this with an app that displays a home screen when first launched, but does not if it's launched while already running.

When I use the (normal) method described in this hint and hit the red "quit me" circle, the app shows the launch screen when I start it. This shows that it really restarted.

When I use the method you describe, holding down the power button until I get "slide to power off", then holding the home button for 7 seconds, the app does NOT show the launch screen. This shows that the application did not restart.

Easy quitting of multitasking apps in iOS 4
Authored by: JPry on Aug 31, '10 09:52:51AM

The method described by RunLevelZero did work for me with no problem. I tried it with Weather Bug Lite and Lux DLX 2 on iPhone 4 running 4.0.1.

Edit:

Actually, let me clarify: I had each of the mentioned apps open and running. Under normal circumstances, pressing the home button and then returning to the app will show the saved state. While each app was running, I held down the Sleep/Wake button, then held down the home button until the home screen reappeared. This forced the apps to quit. So maybe it doesn't quit all apps, just the currently active one.

Edited on Aug 31, '10 09:55:50AM by JPry

Easy quitting of multitasking apps in iOS 4
Authored by: RunLevelZero on Aug 31, '10 09:55:58AM

Perhaps I should have clarified that the slide to power off screen will disappear and you will drop back to your application icons if you performed the steps successfully. Did this happen with you?

Easy quitting of multitasking apps in iOS 4
Authored by: SeanAhern on Aug 31, '10 10:08:20AM

Yep, I get dropped back to the home screen with the app icons. But running applications did not quit.

However, what JPry suggested seems to be true for me: The currently running application does quit. It's just that this does not seem to quit ALL running applications. Just the currently active one.

Easy quitting of multitasking apps in iOS 4