Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'But what's the point? ' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
But what's the point?
Authored by: morespace54 on Aug 19, '10 09:05:13AM

Not that it really matters (as long as the content and hints are still relevant) but I can't help wonder why?
macosxhints is kind of well known by now...

But what's the point?
Authored by: renaultssoftware on Aug 19, '10 09:06:51AM

Macosxhints is a Mecca now!

---

But what's the point?
Authored by: crarko on Aug 19, '10 09:21:03AM

My understanding is that it's a bookkeeping thing. I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

But what's the point?
Authored by: woodgie on Aug 19, '10 04:12:35PM

And that's the problem. Really, it is.

Shakespear wrote "...What's in a name..?"

Well a lot, actually.

Yes I know that MacWorld has owned the site for a while now but it was still good old MasOSXHints.com, the place where I went to solve many a problem, why? Because folks were friendly there and they served a good pint.

But now they've gone and ripped out the broken chairs, the stained wooden bartop has been replaced with a shiny new metal one and the lightbulb near the gents has been changed at last. All worthwhile and good changes no one will argue that.

But changing the name?

Please tell the bookkeepers they're wrong to do this. This one, little insignificant thing holds more significance than they realise.

MacOSXHints.com wasn't broken, our Macs were. Why have they tried to fix it?

But what's the point?
Authored by: crarko on Aug 19, '10 04:29:25PM

I thought Jason's post was in pretty clear, readable language.

Still gotta pay the bills.

Robert A Heinlein said: "TANSTAAFL."

Edited on Aug 19, '10 04:30:44PM by crarko

But what's the point?
Authored by: garythemacguy on Aug 20, '10 03:36:39AM

Bad move, for reasons already mentioned in various other posts.

In my opinion, while parts of the Macworld brand are good, other parts suck. MaxOSXHints is a generally great resource whose perceived value is now diluted by the more pronounced Macworld association.

> I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

I had to go to the trouble of finding my account credentials to log back in again so that I could participate. I imagine that a lot of people simply won't have bothered, so you're not really getting a full measure of the community's reaction.

Time for a new poll, perhaps?