Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the ' Add a French dictionary to Dictionary.app ' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Add a French dictionary to Dictionary.app
Authored by: etresoft on Aug 10, '10 12:46:12PM

Thanks for the post about my dictionary. I just released a version for the iPad too. It is stand-alone and needs no internet connection. It also includes the 1835 dictionary.

There are more modern dictionaries available, but none of them are free and none of them work with the MacOS X Dictionary.app. These dictionaries from 1935 and 1835 are hardly "useless". Any new French words since 1935 are likely to be borrowed from English anyway. Plus, if you do happen to be reading anything from the 18th and 19th centuries (there were at least a couple of good books during that time) you are quite likely to encounter old words that will not be found in any modern dictionary.

I built my dictionaries from the same XDXF sources that the StarDict dictionaries were built from. My Dictionary plugins, and especially the iPad app, have undergone extensive cleanup and indexing that you won't find in any StartDict version.

Finally, I would love to build some similar dictionaries for other languages. All I need is some kind of public domain database source that I can legally use. Such databases can often be found on government and university web sites. You need to be able to speak the language in order to track them down and French is the only language I know well enough to research.

Add a French dictionary to Dictionary.app
Authored by: kirkmc on Aug 11, '10 01:38:28AM
"Any new French words since 1935 are likely to be borrowed from English anyway. " Sorry? And on what authority do you make that statement? I happen to live in France, and am a writer and translator. What you say is ludicrous.
---
Read my blog: Kirkville -- http://www.mcelhearn.com
Musings, Opinion and Miscellanea, on Macs, iPods and more
Edited on Aug 11, '10 03:27:23AM by kirkmc

Add a French dictionary to Dictionary.app
Authored by: etresoft on Aug 11, '10 06:38:07AM

Sorry? And on what authority do you make that statement?
Apparently better knowledge of French than you have.

I happen to live in Canada, and am a software engineer. I don't translate. That is why I prefer to read French authors in French and lookup words I don't know in French. It is ludicrous to claim that a dictionary from 1935 is "useless" or that modern French isn't full of English words.

If you don't like my dictionary, fine. Don't download it. Buy the Dictionnaire Le Robert for 200 euros instead. It is a great dictionary, but it doesn't work with Dictionary.app.

It is easy to find fault in the work of others. If you feel this dictionary is useless and obsolete, write a better one.

Add a French dictionary to Dictionary.app
Authored by: crarko on Aug 11, '10 07:54:25AM

It's time to agree to disagree, folks.

Add a French dictionary to Dictionary.app
Authored by: astack on Aug 20, '10 06:24:31AM

I just wanted to say thanks for this hint. I have been wanting dictionaries in other languages ever since the dictionary.app got released with Tiger. While the translator widget on the Dashboard is okay, it doesn't really offer anything above what the Babelfish web-site can do, and these things are prone to making mistakes (which a good dictionary can help with).

...and the dictionary from 1935 is perfectly useful for what the majority of users need it for. Kirkmc, thank you for pointing out the age of the dictionary, but you really need to tone it down a notch. Insulting the readers here by calling their hints useless is a great way to drive people away from the site, especially when it is unmerited as is the case here.