Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Secure Evernote for Mac application data' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Secure Evernote for Mac application data
Authored by: PatrickS on Jul 23, '10 08:39:14AM
Wuala does encryption on the cloud side.

Edited on Jul 23, '10 08:40:44AM by PatrickS

Secure Evernote for Mac application data
Authored by: LewInVT on Jul 23, '10 09:02:41AM

Many cloud services will keep data encrypted. Users would like Evernote to offer encrypting of notes and notebooks within the program and on their servers so they can safely sync sensitive documents with iPhones and iPads.

Currently only plain text can be encrypted. Evernote needs to get with it and allow encrypting of PDFs, JPGs, etc.

Secure Evernote for Mac application data
Authored by: Reaper Man on Jul 23, '10 09:52:15AM

I think many of the services offer "encryption on the cloud side."

So what does that mean? Who has the password? Who has the keys? Oh, they do, not you.

When a subpoena is filed for your files, they can still get the data in the clear. The company will be obliged to hand over the keys.

Real security means that I have the keys and no one else. It's a shame that these services don't realize that this is really best for their own protection as well.

Your recommendations are great, and I'll keep reviewing them one day, I'll either do it myself, or I'll find the solution.

Secure Evernote for Mac application data
Authored by: Reaper Man on Jul 23, '10 09:54:12AM

I guess, I should review before responding. :-)

Wuala looks like the kind of service I am looking for.

Thanks!

Secure Evernote for Mac application data
Authored by: jasonsurfing79 on Jul 26, '10 08:12:22AM

Given the client-side encryption, Wuala is certainly more secure than most other cloud storage sites (and I like that).

However, for my own edification (since the topic of subpoena'ing of files was raised), how difficult would it be for one to break the encryption, given that it was encrypted client-side?

After typing this question, I realize that it makes me look like I'm trying to store some sort of illegal/confidential files - although I somewhat sadly have nothing that interesting or valuable...just wondering.

---