Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Save Space in Your Bookmarks Bar' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Save Space in Your Bookmarks Bar
Authored by: auco on Jul 08, '10 08:15:04AM

uh, well, would have been a better hint if it contained a hint :-/

btw, I am using Bookmark-folders named ★,☆ and  (eg for Mac OS X Hints), ♥ for my friend's blogs, ♪ for Music Bookmarks and a couple of other symbols like ✎, ↵ and Ξ

You'll find more in the character overview panel.

Save Space in Your Bookmarks Bar
Authored by: Stork on Jul 08, '10 08:51:53AM

Now that's a great hint.

However, please describe how to get the symbols in the name. In all my years with Macs, I realized I've never used symbols. My main browser is Firefox. So, will your hint work with Firefox, too?

Save Space in Your Bookmarks Bar
Authored by: auco on Jul 08, '10 10:39:02AM

of course this works with Firefox, too. Even on the iPad :)

Just open up the Bookmarks Editor and rename your folders. I think in Safari, you can also rename the folders with the context menu.

You can bring up the character palette if you go to System Settings - Locale (? Ländereinstellungen) - Keyboard and select the character palette to be shown alongside your selected keyboard in the system tray.
Or copy & paste from any website...

Save Space in Your Bookmarks Bar
Authored by: negritude on Jul 08, '10 10:17:33PM

If you use Firefox, then this is also a solution:

Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar

Save Space in Your Bookmarks Bar
Authored by: robleach on Jul 08, '10 09:26:35AM

Cool. Good idea. I added ⌂ for home, ✈ for travel, ☎ for phone books, and your ♪ for music. Any ideas for tools, work, accounts, videos, dancing, technology, & fonts? I looked through the character palette, but nothing jumped out at me for these.

Rob

Save Space in Your Bookmarks Bar
Authored by: auco on Jul 08, '10 11:14:12AM

well, there are a couple of symbols for technical and other stuff, eg: ⌘⌨⎙ↀ☕⚠♼◷◳ ▄ ◙ ▶ ▸ ▣
Flowers: ❀ ✿ ❁ ✾
...the symbols of Yi-King 𝌎
...Braille-Dots ⡽⠑
and loads of arrows: ☟➲⬇⤵

And don't forget all the foreign languages ぺぴ〱ッㄛت ك
and simple pictograms from pictographic languages like Kanji 二人冂凵凶口巛山彡日曰田疒訁

Well, you get the idea...
...though some of them are quite tiny and not really useable. For Movies, I use "TV", btw :-)

There are also lots of custom fonts with icons out there (like Dingbats), but I'm quite sure they won't work as Bookmark Labels; but you can also use any special character that can be rendered with HTML and Unicode.

Save Space in Your Bookmarks Bar
Authored by: reeses on Jul 08, '10 05:58:25PM

My favorites are arrows (→) for "send to"—such as Posterous—and ligatures. I also use ligatures to weasel in under the 140-character limit in Twitter. fl, ff, ffi, ffl, etc. are all nice little cheats when you're a character over and don't want to rephrase.