Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'How to cut and paste files, merge folders' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
How to cut and paste files, merge folders
Authored by: satcomer on Jun 29, '10 10:13:09AM

I already have this in 10.6.x. So what's the purpose of this hint?

How to cut and paste files, merge folders
Authored by: crarko on Jun 29, '10 10:15:56AM

The 'merge' feature is something often asked for by folks used to using Windows.

How to cut and paste files, merge folders
Authored by: gidds on Jun 29, '10 10:28:54AM

When I tried it just now on 10.6.4, pasting the folder replaced the existing one; it didn't merge with it.

For example, suppose you have a folder called MyFolder containing a file called File1, and you paste it somewhere that already has a MyFolder containing a File2, then that'll delete File2. Merging would end up with a copy of File1 and the existing File2 together in the resulting folder.

---
Andy/

How to cut and paste files, merge folders
Authored by: kapeli on Jun 29, '10 12:07:40PM

That's exactly how moveAddict works. Are you sure you used the Finder or moveAddict? Did you get an alert from moveAddict asking if you want to merge or replace the folders, or the standard Finder replace alert?

How to cut and paste files, merge folders
Authored by: llee on Jun 29, '10 12:20:26PM

I've been using a script for years to do what you describe, which I call "overlaying", but I'm curious about what the term "merge" means for the moveAddict method regarding files with the same name that exist in the same relative hierarchical location in both source folders. What happens to those? Is one or are they both renamed so that both exist as unique files in the resulting merged folder, or does only one remain in the merged folder, essentially resulting in replacement by one or the other (which is, incidentally, the result of my overlay script)?

How to cut and paste files, merge folders
Authored by: kapeli on Jun 29, '10 12:52:51PM

If there is a file with the same name in both the source and the destination folder. The source folder file will replace the destination one.

How to cut and paste files, merge folders
Authored by: everkleer80 on Jun 30, '10 12:32:58PM

Wow, I didn't realize SL had the copy & paste feature for files, thanks for pointing this out! And nice to see that Apple finally implemented this! Now I don't know why they wouldn't have also added cut & paste... I'm sure my usage habbits are not the same as everyone else's, but I move files/folders a lot more often than I copy them...

How to cut and paste files, merge folders
Authored by: mmn on Jul 02, '10 06:32:58AM

this has been here for like years before SL…