Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Install Ubuntu Linux over the Internet with the help of a Mac' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Install Ubuntu Linux over the Internet with the help of a Mac
Authored by: Anonymous on May 05, '10 04:17:31PM

Rob, I take the opposite view -- to both of you.

1. it's not over the "Internet" -- unless the hint is extended to cover DHCP forwarding addresses through multiple firewalls!

2. the software that the user is being advised to install is totally unnecessary because equivalents exist in the OS.

3. the hint is not about Ubuntu -- it's about PXE booting a PXE-bootable OS, for example, Linux, for example, Ubuntu.

Each of these facts restricts the audience that this *USEFUL* hint might reach. Heck, while we're at it, why don't we further restrict the audience by specifying you need Mac OS X 10.5.3 on a G4 12" PowerBook with 1.5 GB of RAM?

If you don't see a problem with the hint as written, then perhaps someone ought to submit a whole bunch of hints for how to PXE-boot every other Linux out there, with each hint using a slightly different dhcp/tftp double-act? Maybe then someone would get the point?

Install Ubuntu Linux over the Internet with the help of a Mac
Authored by: robg on May 05, '10 05:46:21PM

I have no issues with something being a bad hint: if people tell me, and demand is there, we'll get rid of it -- we've done it before, and we'll do it again. I cannot possibly understand every single hint we run, so I rely on the audience to help. (Well, I'll rely for only a few more days; then it's Craig's issue.)

So for this hint, should we kill it, edit it, or leave it as is?

What I *do* take issue with is people using the comments to debate the merit of why a hint is on the site. That's not what the comments are for, and such feedback belongs in the Feedback forum or via email.

-rob.

Install Ubuntu Linux over the Internet with the help of a Mac
Authored by: crarko on May 06, '10 05:05:26AM

Craig's feeling is that if one other person finds a hint useful, it's worth publishing. In this one, if it were me, I'd just burn an ISO. But it's not me. Someone went to the effort to write it up and submit it.

If folks want to see different hints published, the 'Submit Hint' button works just great. Share away!

~CRA

Install Ubuntu Linux over the Internet with the help of a Mac
Authored by: Anonymous on May 10, '10 06:45:21PM

Well I guess my pov is colored by having submitted a hint and...

...tumbleweed...

Nowhere to be found anywhere, and still current.

And yet something that tangentially ties Ubuntu to OS X gets published.

Discussing the merits of this hint in this hint's comments is absolutely where it belongs, because this hint is what raised the issue. Taking it to the forum is a great way to get it ignored.

Install Ubuntu Linux over the Internet with the help of a Mac
Authored by: elmimmo on May 06, '10 01:35:30PM

Regarding 2, please remember this is not a service by expert professionals. I do acknowledge in the hint itself that dhcp is probably not needed, but that is how I managed to do it, cleanly and easily, after spending more time than I would have wanted googling about how to use my Mac to serve a netboot image. For me, it served the purpose so was good enough.

I encourage you to append here how to configure bootp instead of pointless bashing (someone might have learnt something with my hint, nobody learnt anything with your comment).

TFTPServer is not an equivalent to anything in the OS, since it is not a server at all, but an UI for the server that comes with OS X, and an easy one. I leave the guide of how to use the command-line tool to you. Learning that was not my interest at all.

Regarding 3, yeah, I am sure changing the tile "Use Mac OS X to serve a netboot image" will bring the attention of the average Joe (i.e. my own profile) that wants to do just what I did and has only a Mac at reach. Yep, the hint is more specific than could be. I learnt how to do it with OS X by reading guides specific to other OSs.

All the contrary, I think that making the hint's text more universal abstracts it in a way that makes it more difficult to understand and more difficult to come up in search results of non-technical persons.

Edited on May 06, '10 01:38:23PM by elmimmo

Install Ubuntu Linux over the Internet with the help of a Mac
Authored by: Anonymous on May 10, '10 06:48:26PM

I guess I was under the impression that people come to this site to learn. Evidently what they want is the answer to "What button do I push?"

Hohum.