Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Expose_and_Spaces' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Expose_and_Spaces
Authored by: leamanc on Apr 16, '10 01:35:49PM

You want to know about something I never use? Dashboard. I hate when I accidentally hit that key, and then it leaves the Dashboard process running...

Expose_and_Spaces
Authored by: Bairnsfather on Apr 16, '10 02:00:00PM

Just make an AppleScript app that quits the Dock and assign it to a keystroke. I've done this since once in a while it's helpful to run the Dashboard, but at least to me, those little things use a bunch of RAM.

tell application "Dock"
try
quit
on error
-- Oops. This means there was an error. Drat.
end try
end tell

The only bad "side effect" I have from this is any minimized windows pop out of the Dock, but

Expose_and_Spaces
Authored by: chris_on_hints on Apr 16, '10 02:18:08PM

Dashboard? It runs calculator and iStat and thats it. Nice to flick to for a quick calculation or to check on cpu usage, then flick out. I thought I would use it more when it was first announced....

Expose_and_Spaces
Authored by: everkleer80 on Apr 20, '10 09:42:36AM

It's cool that the calculator is available as a quick little dashboard widget, but I LOVE having it built into Spotlight so I've never used the dashboard one. And my stats are done through MenuMeters (I've heard iStat - or some program by the same company - does menus too and is better than MenuMeters, so I may check that out sometime.) I do use the Dashboard though when I want to see a quick weather forecast or calendar.

Expose_and_Spaces
Authored by: lowbatteries on Apr 16, '10 03:30:33PM

There's a nice "Stop Dashboard" widget (oh the irony!) but it always right there when you need it - in the Dashboard. I use it quite often (its also a quick way to kill the Dock, if, like me your Spaces sometimes get stuck).

Edit .... discussed here: http://www.natal.be/2005/10/stopdashboard-widget/

Edited on Apr 16, '10 03:32:10PM by lowbatteries

Expose_and_Spaces
Authored by: soundsgoodtome on Apr 17, '10 12:52:26AM

why not disable the shortcut for invoking dashboard?