Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.6: See grammar suggestions on hover-Proofreading in Pages' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.6: See grammar suggestions on hover-Proofreading in Pages
Authored by: MtnBiker on Mar 14, '10 08:18:44AM

I'm assuming this is Proofreading in the application Pages. Pages separates spelling and grammar (and apparently names it something different than in some of their other apps.

PS I find it a bit annoying to have it on, keeps flashing green underline as I type, which usually goes off as I continue. Maybe I'd get used to it. Doesn't like "different than" above, but doesn't offer suggestions. Sounds a bit awkward, but "different from" sounds worse. OK this is OT.

Edited to remove a clarification that someone had already made.

---
Hermosa Beach, CA USA
Edited on Mar 14, '10 08:28:23AM by MtnBiker

10.6: See grammar suggestions on hover-Proofreading in Pages
Authored by: Mac Berry on Mar 15, '10 07:50:38AM

It only seems to offer corrections in the contextual menu if the error applies to one word. So "An sausage" can be corrected to "A sausage", but "different than" can't be corrected, even though the error does show up on a hover.

So it's better than nothing, but not a very advanced grammar checker compared to the likes of Word.

BTW, try "different to".

Mark

Different to
Authored by: MtnBiker on Mar 15, '10 10:50:39AM

Different to. Doesn't sound right to this Californian.

BTW I no longer use Word. Word v5.1 was fine, but now too much of a pain. Pages has issues too, but Word seems more difficult to work around. I do miss style sheets "based on" though.

---
Hermosa Beach, CA USA

Different to
Authored by: Mac Berry on Mar 17, '10 05:26:59AM

Ah well, I can't help you there then ;) Maybe your language should be called "Californian" or "American", not "English" ;) ;)

A search shows that "different to" is used in English in England only, so you'd be right. "Different than" doesn't work in either language though - something can be "more different than" something else, but A can't be "different than" B. That said it is used a lot, so it's probably an overly pedantic point.

I'm with you regarding Word!

Mark

OT: Different From
Authored by: derekcurrie on Apr 29, '10 03:10:35AM

"Doesn't like "different than" . . . but "different from" sounds worse."

Actually, 'different from' is correct. 'Different than' is a popular vernacular error.