Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'iCal to website publishing ? We need an XML parser' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
iCal to website publishing ? We need an XML parser
Authored by: livi on Sep 13, '02 01:50:27PM

I have now my own Webdav server, but i'm still unable to create a webpage of my Calendars. We need some kind of XML parser so that we can create .mac-like webbased calendars...

Who is willing to create such an XML parser for Apache?

iCal to website publishing ? We need an XML parser
Authored by: professor on Sep 13, '02 05:47:21PM

Precompiled versions currently available
for Linux and Windoze.

Coming soon for MacOS. (Course, if you are
running Jagwyre, you can just use iCal).

But perhaps you are asking about a server-side
(rather than client-side) solution?

iCal to website publishing ? We need an XML parser
Authored by: theMaker on Sep 13, '02 06:23:26PM

It's not really XML... I am currently planning development of a php and perl parser for the .ics file format produced. I have found this document detailing the ics format: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2445.html.

It seems to correspond identically to the format Apple has used. Which is also supported by clients on other platforms... Linuxnix, Windows.

It will simply be a matter of mapping out the tags used and producing corresponding html for viewing. This is presumably what Apple has done for you if you have an account.

Before I do this, I want to know if a parser already exists... I think I found one that will convert ics to rdf and rdf to ics. This would be handy for any clients not supporting the ics format.

If anyone knows of other parsers for this format, please email me: conrad at schilbemedia dot com. (replace characters accordingly).

If anyone is interested in assisting, likewise, email me.

iCal to website publishing ? We need an XML parser
Authored by: livi on Sep 14, '02 04:52:43AM

This is what we need ! I'm sure there are guys out there that have enough experience to do this....

If Apple can make it, we can do the same... A PHP solution is the best thing. Universal and free !

iCal to website publishing ? We need an XML parser
Authored by: theMaker on Sep 14, '02 06:33:28PM
I have done further research into this and am now looking for some assistance. I have alot of experience in developing web based applications but it would be nice to have others to spread out the work. I found more documentation on the format used and specifications on how to implement and distribute it. I have created PDF's that can be d/l here: CAP.pdf DTD.pdf GUIDE.pdf iCAL.pdf iMIP.pdf iTIP.pdf All of this information is very specific and technical. I have not yet gone through all of the documentation but have decided on a 3 phase plan. Where phase 1 is to develop a parser that will display the data in a web browser. The 2nd phase is to develop interface to edit the data online. And finally phase 3 is to have user based access control and sharing for individual calendars. Again, anyone interested in helping, please email me: conrad@schilbemedia.com. I will likely be setting up a sourceforge account for development of this project and will post back here when I have done so.

Try PHPiCalendar
Authored by: rluttman on Feb 23, '04 08:26:47PM

I have had success using PHPiCalendar (http://phpicalendar.sourceforge.net/nuke/) on my local WebDav server. The biggest problem - at least with the version I use - is that you can't edit the calendar through the web page.