Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Run full OS X installer for another drive without rebooting' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Run full OS X installer for another drive without rebooting
Authored by: everkleer80 on Jan 27, '10 09:00:47AM

I may use this trick the next time I (re)install the OS - boot into target FW mode and install from one of my other machines.

When I boot my iMac from the install DVD (or any DVD that I've tried for that matter) it takes literally about 5-10 mins to get from the grey Apple logo screen to the first prompt. And everything there goes extremelly slow. This has always been the case, ever since I bought the computer refurbished from Apple a year and a half ago, and the same with my MacBook which I bought new 3 years ago. I've never experience poor performance from the drives other than booting off them. Is my experience here normal?

Run full OS X installer for another drive without rebooting
Authored by: gp_aaron on Jan 27, '10 09:42:36AM

I work in an Apple Repair center and this is normal experience for me.

I try to boot off a firewire or USB hard drive whenever possible as it's much quicker. A 8GB usb flash drive makes a very good install source.

Run full OS X installer for another drive without rebooting
Authored by: everkleer80 on Jan 27, '10 09:49:28AM

Good to finally know that it's nothing wrong with my machine(s).

As soon as I bought SL, I did put it on an 8GB SD card. Only problem is my MacBook won't boot off of USB, so I'm glad to see this hint!

Run full OS X installer for another drive without rebooting
Authored by: gp_aaron on Jan 27, '10 09:56:46AM

The MacBook should boot with no problems from any USB storage. Just make sure the partition map is GUID. You'll find that in Disk Utility under the options when creating the partition.

Run full OS X installer for another drive without rebooting
Authored by: everkleer80 on Jan 27, '10 10:35:35AM

When I was trying to install SL, I think I had done some research and found that the MacBook Core 2 Duo could boot off USB but that the MacBook Core Duo (which I have) could only boot off FW. Anyway, I don't currently have any need to boot off of USB, but I will keep your comments in mind for the future.

Run full OS X installer for another drive without rebooting
Authored by: gp_aaron on Jan 27, '10 10:42:23AM

Weird, my first MacBook was a Core Duo 2.0GHz and I booted off USB every time I did a reinstall or even when I beta tested Leopard.

Run full OS X installer for another drive without rebooting
Authored by: leamanc on Jan 27, '10 11:47:14AM

You are correct. All Intel Macs (and even some PPC machines, including some as old as the Bondi iMac and the original XServes) can boot off USB. As mentioned above, GUID partition table is the key.

Run full OS X installer for another drive without rebooting
Authored by: everkleer80 on Jan 27, '10 12:21:13PM

You're right, I verified my SD card is MBR, not GUID. So maybe what I read was saying that only newer machines can boot from devices using an MBR partition map.

Below spec DVD drive
Authored by: davidmorr on Jan 27, '10 02:12:28PM

When I bought my new iMac about a year ago, the DVD drive was nowhere near as fast as the speed claimed in the specs. It would typically write at 3x instead of the 8x Apple claimed.

It took a while (several calls) but Apple support agreed there was a problem and replaced the drive with a different brand. It is still not 8x, but it does do 5-6x.

Lots of people complain about slow DVD drives in iMacs, so I suspect it is actually a common problem. Is it a faulty batch of drives? If so, they continued to use them for a very long time.

Edited on Jan 27, '10 02:13:32PM by davidmorr