Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'One method of ripping just the audio from a DVD' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
One method of ripping just the audio from a DVD
Authored by: kirsch on Jan 19, '10 07:59:26AM

An alternative (and easier) way would be to rip your DVD using Handbrake, then you can import the files to iTunes, right click on them and convert to AAC. Seems easier!

One method of ripping just the audio from a DVD
Authored by: Nago on Jan 19, '10 02:39:43PM

That's what came to my mind to, thanks for clearing up the steps =)

One method of ripping just the audio from a DVD
Authored by: dahjelle on Jan 19, '10 07:41:33PM

Does this method work? I've tried it with a DVD this evening, but, though I can get the video file into iTunes, I have no luck converting it to AAC as the menu selection is greyed out. Is there a step I'm missing?

One method of ripping just the audio from a DVD
Authored by: kirsch on Jan 19, '10 08:18:35PM

Hmmm... it does not work. The option is not displayed for videos.
If you have Quicktime Pro, then you can do this:

- Rip the chapter of the DVD using Handbrake. Use AAC for the audio, anything for the video (low quality, as you'll throw it away)
-Option J to bring up the properties of the video.
-Extract the audio track.
-Save as a self-contained mp4.
-Rename extension to m4a .

That should be all! I tried it on one one of my previously ripped videos.

One method of ripping just the audio from a DVD
Authored by: ascanio on Jan 19, '10 10:27:54PM

Actually, ffmpegX refuses to work if the video track is missing: you cannot use it for converting just audio.

One method of ripping just the audio from a DVD
Authored by: robg on Feb 04, '10 06:42:34AM

Given that I was able to use it as described in the hint to convert just an audio track, I'm not sure I understand the above comment.

-rob.

or Subler
Authored by: ajmas on Feb 13, '10 05:40:13PM

Going the Handbrake route, you can delete the video track from the MPEG4 file with a tool called Subler. Note, you should probably duplicate the resulting MPEG4 file, from Handbrake, as the Subler applies the changes to the currently open file and there is no "save as".