Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Control third-party menu bar icon order via Automator' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Control third-party menu bar icon order via Automator
Authored by: mrwarmth on Jan 08, '10 07:00:46PM

I just want to add here that the applescript method can be used with regular login items. When I say that I mean that you don't have to have every app in the applescript but can if you want. I have used the applescript method without fail for over 2 years now on 10.5 and 10.6. It is very easy to add new items and the linked "hint" has delay's of "5" & "6" second! Time like that is not necessary. I am a stickler for getting mine in order but I run into no problems w/ this method and even better I am not talking 1 or 2 second but more like a .1 second delay to set things right.

I do not want to take away from this hint as it is always good to have multiple methods to do the same task. If anyone is interested in the top half of what my AS login item looks like here is a bit from the top:

tell application "smcFanControl"
launch
end tell
-- delay 0.1
-- tell application "SizeUp"
-- launch
-- end tell
-- delay 0.1
-- tell application "QuicKeys"
-- delay 0.1
-- tell application "App Store Expense Monitor"
-- launch
-- end tell
delay 0.1
tell application "ClipMenu"
launch
end tell
delay 0.1
tell application "FastScripts"
launch
end tell

---
Notice how quickly it is to add or remove items, just " --" and you can play around with the order. I have my applescript at the top of the my login items and then have some other apps opening after but once the script get's opened it will continue to open each app you define while your system goes on to open the next item in your real login list (the one found in your preference pane.) A nice, actually great freeware app you can use to move/view your login list is the multi-tool "tinkertool." Made by Dr. Bresink it is one of the best freeware apps I have ever used and it has a nice tab where you can see your login items and even check to deactivate items w/o actually having to take it out of your list. This is helpful if you want to play around with the order and items w/o having to add apps that you moved the time before. You can also, hide items just like in the preference pane. All in all, this is a nice hint... I prefer the applescript method with just "0.1." Also, anyone obsessed with their login items should look into "tinkertool." Tinkertool System is shareware and does completely different items so do not confuse the two although they are made by the same dev. The app "login control" was a nice shareware app but the dev has gone under it seems, it was just a nice app for saving multiple login lists. Sorry for getting off topic and I hope someone can take something away from this. Cheers, to all contributors!

Control third-party menu bar icon order via Automator
Authored by: The Eck on Jan 09, '10 04:07:43PM

@mrwarmth: Thanks for your detailed and interesting tips. Very helpful background info.

Control third-party menu bar icon order via Automator
Authored by: mrwarmth on Jan 24, '10 01:33:38AM

No problem The Eck! Glad I could help. Be easy! Any other questions ask me.

Control third-party menu bar icon order via Automator
Authored by: iLukeKendall on Aug 23, '10 11:16:44AM

Hey, thanks for the tips.

I've tried all the option above, using TinkerTool, and writing an Apple Script, however my login items on the menubar still seem to be in a random order. The script I wrote was as follows:

tell application "MenuWeather"
end tell
delay 0.3
tell application "EvernoteHelper"
launch
end tell
delay 0.3
tell application "Facebook Notifications"
launch
end tell
delay 0.3
tell application "Adium"
launch
end tell

The order above is the order I want it in, but it opened in this order:
Facebook
Weather
Evernote
Adium
Dropbox
TinyGrab

Is there anything you could recommend as to why it's happening like this?
Have I written the script wrongly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated (:

Control third-party menu bar icon order via Automator
Authored by: morespace54 on Aug 23, '10 12:25:28PM

Maybe you should try (if you haven't already) to put a longer delay between app opening (something like 0.5 or even 1 second).

If you want to make sure you got it right, try with a 3 seconds delay. If everything is fine, you can bring that number down.

The delay really depend on your system.

Control third-party menu bar icon order via Automator
Authored by: iLukeKendall on Aug 23, '10 02:26:32PM

I already tried that... increasing it up to 1 second. Still no luck.

It seems the facebook notifications item has some sort of unconditional relationship with the 'display' menubar icon... it automatically positions itself to the right as far as possible.The others are far from perfect to how I would like, but it's in a slightly more acceptable order now.

Thanks for your reply (: