Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Lock and unlock a Mac using Bluetooth detection' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Lock and unlock a Mac using Bluetooth detection
Authored by: puzzlebobble on Jan 04, '10 09:03:22AM

sounds sensible. It asked my permission for both when I tested the script in Proximity. Pity I can't remember which order it asked. I've turned off access for the applescript editor and it still works.

Lock and unlock a Mac using Bluetooth detection
Authored by: everkleer80 on Jan 04, '10 09:12:55AM

It is nice to know that the app that calls Keychain Scripting also requires permission, because when I fooled with Keychain Scripting once before and allowed it to access my PW, I was worried that I might be allowing ANY applescript to access my PW via Keychain Scripting.

Lock and unlock a Mac using Bluetooth detection
Authored by: puzzlebobble on Jan 05, '10 12:49:43PM

do you happen to know if it is possible to pass a password from the keychain into terminal. I was hoping to be able execute an applescript which changed the HD spindown time when I changed location. I can open terminal and set the command:

sudo pmset -b disksleep 5

but then it asks me for my password. I could do my password as keystrokes but I'd prefer to access a password stored in the keychain.

I'm guessing I need to:

set thePW to the password of first key of current keychain whose name is "AdminPassword"

but then convert thePW to keystokes?

cheers

Lock and unlock a Mac using Bluetooth detection
Authored by: everkleer80 on Jan 05, '10 01:01:55PM

I think you want something like this:

do shell script "..." user name theUser password thePW with administrator privileges
(I think that's the correct syntax)

This way you do not need to say sudo in your script; all commands in the script will be run with full admin priveleges.

Lock and unlock a Mac using Bluetooth detection
Authored by: puzzlebobble on Jan 05, '10 01:06:38PM

cool, I must have been typing at the same time as you. I'll give that way a go. thanks!

Lock and unlock a Mac using Bluetooth detection
Authored by: puzzlebobble on Jan 05, '10 01:04:15PM

think I got it:

tell application "Keychain Scripting"
delay 1
try
do shell script "sudo pmset -a disksleep 15" password thePW with administrator privileges
on error
display dialog "Oops. Wrong password?"
end try
end tell

sets all setting for spindown to 15 minutes. Now to have different for battery power etc...

Lock and unlock a Mac using Bluetooth detection
Authored by: everkleer80 on Jan 06, '10 06:09:29AM

Cool. I don't think you need "sudo", as the "with administrator privileges" gives the script the same rights as sudo. I read here that using both can create some kind of security hole, though I'm not sure how and the article doesn't explain.