Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'OK, Stranger Still' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
OK, Stranger Still
Authored by: BraindeadMac on Sep 12, '02 10:19:58AM

Launch Disk Utility and repair preferences.

I tried the above and SWAT still doesn't run
Authored by: theckenlively on Sep 12, '02 10:07:46PM

I've read all the comments and tried running the repair you just mentioned but to know avail. This is a clean install of 10.2 running on a G4. I am posting the system.log entries which show xinetd restarting and swat trying to start. I tried both your original code and the other suggested option for /etc/xinetd.d/swat, but neither works.

Sep 12 18:48:43 zeus xinetd[391]: Unexpected signal 19 (Continued)
Sep 12 18:48:43 zeus xinetd[391]: Starting reconfiguration
Sep 12 18:48:47 zeus xinetd[391]: readjusting service swat
Sep 12 18:48:47 zeus xinetd[391]: Reconfigured: new=0 old=1 dropped=0 (services)
Sep 12 18:49:06 zeus xinetd[391]: START: swat pid=574 from= my IP address
Sep 12 18:49:06 zeus xinetd[574]: FAIL: swat address from= my IP address
---- snip -- tries to connect to more times with same result ----

About 5 minutes later the log shows the following:

Sep 12 18:56:50 zeus inetd[387]: swat/tcp: bind: Address already in use

Any ideas what is happening here? Many thanks.

I tried the above and SWAT still doesn't run
Authored by: BraindeadMac on Sep 24, '02 07:38:30AM

The reason for the START and FAIL messages is probably the security--you must either change the "only_from" line in the xinetd file to something other than localhost to address it from your IP. Or use 127.0.0.1:901 from your local machine....