Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Start a new Mail message from anywhere' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Start a new Mail message from anywhere
Authored by: rgspb on Nov 09, '09 10:55:43AM

I would just like to be able to right-click on a file and be able to select a "Email this file" selection from the pop-up menu.

Path Finder
Authored by: SeanAhern on Nov 09, '09 12:11:46PM

Then you want Path Finder.

Start a new Mail message from anywhere
Authored by: houplagrundle on Nov 09, '09 02:36:16PM

I made a service that does this using Automator (though I use entourage)

Receive files or folders in Finder
Create new entourage message
Add attachments to entourage message

for Mail:

Receive files or folders in Finder
New Mail message
Add attachments to front message

(which I've just tried and works)

Start a new Mail message from anywhere
Authored by: elspub on Nov 09, '09 02:40:36PM

For a right-click on a file to start a new email with that file attatched:
download this service:

or make your own, takes 15 seconds:
1. Open automator
2. Select create service
3. In "Service Receives Selected" change the drop-down menu to files
4. in the actions Library, selecting Mail will filter actions that only apply to Mail
5. Drag "New Mail Message" over into the automator workflow on the right.
6. Drag "Add Attatchments to Front Message" below that.
7. Save and name how you see fit.

Now go to the Finder, right-click on a file or multiple files, and go down to services and choose your service.

Enjoy

Start a new Mail message from anywhere
Authored by: elspub on Nov 09, '09 02:44:15PM

apparently houplagrundle and I were on the same page.
I forgot to add the link to the service, if you just want to download it: http://is.gd/4Rft4
unzip the file and move "MailThis" to your home folder's Library/Services folder.

Start a new Mail message from anywhere
Authored by: SuperCrisp on Nov 09, '09 03:13:04PM

That there are so many replies that don't mention this makes me think I must be missing something, but I'll throw this out there anyway. In Snow Leopard, you can enable a service that allows you to right-click a file and get a New E-mail With Attachment as the service says.

Start a new Mail message from anywhere
Authored by: elspub on Nov 09, '09 04:18:16PM

Right, but that service is only accessible from the Services Menu in the menu bar. It doesn't show up in the services contextual menu...

Start a new Mail message from anywhere
Authored by: jonthaler on Nov 10, '09 01:30:19PM
Finder has a "Send File" services menu item. All you need to do is use the "Keyboard Shortcuts" system preference to assign a key to it. Then:
* Select the file
* Type the shortcut key.
I think that (almost) every application has this service.