Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Organize the iTunes folder in Finder with iTunes 9' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Organize the iTunes folder in Finder with iTunes 9
Authored by: saxphile on Sep 11, '09 08:25:44AM

I tried the feature but it did absolutely nothing to my iTunes folder. It looks exactly the same as it did before, but now the option has been grayed out and I don't really know what else I can do.

Organize the iTunes folder in Finder with iTunes 9
Authored by: kiltbear on Sep 11, '09 01:37:39PM

Ditto (mostly). It moved SOME things but not all of them.

Try looking inside the "Music/iTunes/iTunes Music" folder.
Authored by: iRideSnow on Sep 11, '09 03:00:05PM

That's where you'll see the reorganized folder structure.

Organize the iTunes folder in Finder with iTunes 9
Authored by: JazzDude on Sep 11, '09 03:41:08PM

I had thought that, too. But all the folders now just contained orphaned .jpg, .txt and, most importantly, .pdf files which I then had to manually re-add (well, at least the .pdfs) to the respective music folders. These of course live now in a folder called "Music".

Organize the iTunes folder in Finder with iTunes 9
Authored by: saxphile on Sep 11, '09 04:35:54PM

You're right, it was all just jpg files (checked with grep for mp3 and m4a). For some reasons, all my PDF files did end up in the right places, but only Apple-supplied ones showed up in iTunes.

For the record, there were 350 freaking folders left and I only had 500 albums. I was expecting some stuff to be left behind from others' comments, but not this much.

For people who have the same problem as me, I think it's okay to junk those folders. Be careful you don't erase the vital folders now actually holding your stuff though. They are:

Audiobooks, Automatically Add to iTunes, iPod Games (only if you own a scroll wheel iPod), Music, Movies, Podcasts, and TV Shows. There are three more folders if you own an iPhone/iPod Touch: Mobile Applications, Ringtones, and Voice Memos.

Organize the iTunes folder in Finder with iTunes 9
Authored by: joecab on Sep 11, '09 06:17:25PM

I did it too but it only partially did it. I do see the new folders in there, but there's a bunch of stuff that it missed still sitting in there too.

Organize the iTunes folder in Finder with iTunes 9
Authored by: joecab on Sep 11, '09 06:45:35PM

Ah. On closer inspection, it just needed some manual cleanup. Here's what I found:

1. Empty folders that once contained songs. (The songs were found in their proper place in the Music folder.)

2. A number of songs that were zero bytes in size. (The originals were also found in the correct spot, except for one.)

3. A few songs that I thought I had renamed their albums. I renamed them again in iTunes and they popped back where they were supposed to go.

So I guess the process misses a few stragglers, but maybe two dozen songs to fix out of over 5,000 songs ain't bad.