Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'No hex editing needed!' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
No hex editing needed!
Authored by: IvanQ on Aug 23, '09 06:51:24PM

It's possible to install iMovie '09 the official way (without Pacifist), and to run it without any hex-editing.

(1) To install: You just need to edit one file inside the iLife '09 metapackage-- inside the text file iLife '09.mpkg/Contents/Distribution.dist, find the function hasSufficientHardwareForiMovie and add the line return true; at the top. (Of course, you need to first copy the whole iLife package to your hard disk so that you can actually rewrite this file. You can get away with using symbolic links cleverly to avoid actually copying the big files.)

(2) To run: I found a secret user-default setting inside the executable-- it turns out all you need to do is execute (in Terminal)

defaults write NSGlobalDomain allowG4Launch -bool YES

and iMovie will start. (I figured this out with the help of machodis and the hex addresses posted here. Machodis rocks, by the way-- it shows you all the strings involved in Objective-C function calls.)

No hex editing needed!
Authored by: Steve Hoge on Aug 28, '09 10:50:45AM

OK, this succinct solution ought to be advanced to the status of an official Hint!

No hex editing needed!
Authored by: joelseph on Sep 28, '09 06:15:58PM

IvanQ,
You have earned the official title of Mac Man of the Hour for posting this hint. I wish I had found it a month ago when you first posted it. If you lived next door, I'd bring you a tray of chocolate cookies right out of mom's oven.

Kudos and thanks!

No hex editing needed!
Authored by: Sven G on Oct 14, '09 04:14:44AM

The "defaults write" trick (which only works for the current user, so it must also be repeated one time in other user accounts), however, only seems to work if you have a Core Image-compatible video card: for example, on a year 2005 iBook G4 it works as expected (iMovie launches without any complaints), while on a year 2000 Power Mac G4 (upgraded) with an older Radeon 9000 card there still pops up a message saying that a Core Image-compatible video card is needed.

So, it looks like hex-editing the iMovie executable is still needed for such systems.

Now, waiting for the new 8.0.5 offsets... ;-) :-)

No hex editing needed!
Authored by: Rangoon on May 08, '11 04:53:52PM

Sorry if this sounds dense, but how do I access the file in the metapackage in order to edit it? I have tried copying the iLife 09 package over to my hard drive, but when I launch it it just tries to install iLife, and tells me it won't install iDVD.

I have a PowerBook G4 1.5GHz. How can I unpack this without launching it?

Thanks!

No hex editing needed!
Authored by: everkleer80 on May 10, '11 10:16:01AM

Right click and choose Show Package Contents should do it.