Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.5: Solve a repair permissions issue after 10.5.8 update' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.5: Solve a repair permissions issue after 10.5.8 update
Authored by: Dr. T on Aug 13, '09 09:57:26AM

This is yet another example of the misuse of repair permissions. For reasons unknown, many users believe they should repair permissions immediately before, immediately after, and sometimes during (by intercepting the restart) system updates. These mistaken beliefs are often accompanied by the beliefs that you should restart the Mac in Safe Boot mode before updating the OS, and that you should force a Safe Boot for the first restart after updating.

Here's my never-failed-yet method for system updates. 0. Make a full clone backup of your startup drive. 1. Download the combo updater* and make sure it's the correct size (sometimes you get just a partial download). 2. Repair permissions. 3. Run DiskWarrior and perform repairs if needed. 4. Run the combo updater and wait for the reboots (as many as three). 5. Check the System Preferences settings: Software Update, Energy Saver, Spotlight, Time Machine, Bluetooth, and Print and Fax settings have changed on me after updates.

* I don't use Software Update because it has too many problems. The biggest one is attempting to update from an incomplete install file. I have a fairly slow satellite internet connection, and Software Update's (and Safari's and Firefox's) download monitoring don't always work correctly with slow, variable speed downloads. Even when the installer is OK, the incremental upgrade installers fail much more often than combo updaters.

10.5: Solve a repair permissions issue after 10.5.8 update
Authored by: mjperson on Aug 13, '09 10:42:24AM

In your opening you say,
"For reasons unknown, many users believe they should repair permissions immediately before, immediately after, and sometimes during (by intercepting the restart) system updates."

and

"Apple does not recommend any of these mythological means of avoiding update problems. They are more likely to cause problems (as the orginal posting showed) than to prevent them."

Then you go on to describe your upgrade process:

"2. Repair permissions. 3. Run DiskWarrior and perform repairs if needed."

What are those two even doing there? If you are having no system problems, don't be messing with your permissions. If you *are* having problems, resolve them *before* you start messing with upgrading...

Sure, keep frequent backups, especially before changes, but your upgrade path should consist of 1) start with stable system, 2) run the updater.

10.5: Solve a repair permissions issue after 10.5.8 update
Authored by: frgough on Aug 13, '09 10:45:58AM

No kidding. Here's how I do it:

Accept the updates offered by Apple Software update.

Been doing this for 5 years of OS X use and have never had a problem.

Some people are just paranoid.

Agree
Authored by: hamarkus on Aug 14, '09 02:54:57PM

I also just install updates via Software Update. I only run permissions repair when I get bored or when I have reason to believe it might be necessary (as in after the last Flash update, which as reported by others did screw up a couple of permissions).

10.5: Solve a repair permissions issue after 10.5.8 update
Authored by: las_vegas on Aug 13, '09 07:17:19PM

Apple's Software Update will never attempt an install of an incomplete install file. The first step after downloading the file is to check the checksum of the file. An incomplete file will always fail and will be rejected.

I have only once had a problem with an update from the automated update system and the problem was that the update failed to download every time. Manually downloading and installing that update solved the problem.

10.5: Solve a repair permissions issue after 10.5.8 update
Authored by: Anonymous on Aug 18, '09 09:41:40AM

"My cargo cult is better than yours!"

But why, in the hint, is Mijnheer Wierda's name in quotes? I can see why you'd do that for a pseudonym like "rogb", but a real name? Odd.

10.5: Solve a repair permissions issue after 10.5.8 update
Authored by: imageworx on Aug 19, '09 06:10:12AM

There is some contradiction there, DrT.

I've never had issue as long as my original system is good, along with my drive condition.

-(Optional) Run Disk Warrior (latest version) to make sure drive structure is good.
-Disk Utility Verify (either booting up in Single User mode and FSCK -fy or booting from OS X disc and running Disk Utility). Repair if issues.
-Clone the Known Good OS (backup AFTER repairs!).
-Use the Combo Updater*.
-Any further updates. (Check for 3rd party updates...)
-There shouldn't be any need for file permission repairs unless something changes the permissions (3rd party apps like Adobe, Quark, etc..)

I've "never had any issues" with vanilla systems. I did (once) have issues with third party support (Sonnet eSata card drivers, Symantec, Wacom drivers, ATI and nVidia drivers...). YMMV.

*The combo updater apparently installs all previous update changes (10.5.1->10.5.7) where the Delta update only installs the current version updates. This can work for folks that don't install any apps/drivers that might change the system. IMHO, I've had good success with the combo vs delta.
I don't understand how one can download the combo incompletely and have it even run (aren't there checksums?).

I look forward to 10.6... :)

---