Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.5: Create an updated OS X install on a to-be-sold Mac' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.5: Create an updated OS X install on a to-be-sold Mac
Authored by: leamanc on Aug 07, '09 12:59:15PM

Nice idea, nice approach to the problem. But I just get out the original discs and restore it to factory settings. Once Setup Assistant comes up, I force the power off. The buyer can set up their account and do the updates; I fail to see why I should do that for them, and I rather like selling the machine the way it came from the factory. Just my $0.02.

10.5: Create an updated OS X install on a to-be-sold Mac
Authored by: las_vegas on Aug 07, '09 05:58:20PM

In this case, I was setting up the computer to send it to my sister. Having all the updates pre-installed would simplify her initial setup. By using this technique, I was able to install all of her needed software without creating a user account on the system.

Too often, I've fixed a user's pre-owned Mac with the account name "Mac-User" and password "password". Since that's the way they received it, they had no idea they should have it setup differently.

10.5: Create an updated OS X install on a to-be-sold Mac
Authored by: las_vegas on Aug 07, '09 06:14:42PM
One should never, ever force power off a computer unless there is no other option. Forcing the power off (pressing the power button for 4 seconds) has a tendency to leave open files and can potentially damage the drive's directory structure. Quitting the Setup utility is all that's needed to shutdown the newly installed Mac OS X.

10.5: Create an updated OS X install on a to-be-sold Mac
Authored by: frgough on Aug 10, '09 07:05:03AM

Not on journaled file systems.

10.5: Create an updated OS X install on a to-be-sold Mac
Authored by: UberFu on Aug 10, '09 09:57:04AM

Yes. Even on Journaled File Systems. Nothing is 100% and the Journal can become corrupted.

10.5: Create an updated OS X install on a to-be-sold Mac
Authored by: Anonymous on Aug 13, '09 03:29:53PM
Especially on commodity journalled filesystems like HFS+. They haven't been exercised nearly so thoroughly as XFS, ZFS, ReiserFS, or ext4.