Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!


Click here to return to the 'Limiting the number of dictionaries used by "multilingual"?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Limiting the number of dictionaries used by "multilingual"?
Authored by: petersconsult on May 12, '09 05:46:45PM
Yes, I have done it quite successfully, and easily. Of course, it doesn't apply to applications that don't rely on Apple's standard spelling service... Here's how i did it: First I created a folder called "AppleSpellTest" inside my folder "zzz_Disabled_Stuff" that is in my home folder, then I made a backup of the files we'll modify by doing this:
sudo cp -R /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service /Users/*Your_Home*/zzz_Disabled_Stuff/AppleSpellTest/
Then, i only wanted French, English, Spanish, and Multilingual (don't forget this is an option when we edit the menu later), so i moved all the rest like this:
sudo su
mv /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/Resources/Danish.lproj /Users/*Your_Home*/zzz_Disabled_Stuff/AppleSpellTest/DisabledLanguages 
mv /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj /Users/*Your_Home*/zzz_Disabled_Stuff/AppleSpellTest/DisabledLanguages 
mv /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/Resources/en_AU.lproj /Users/*Your_Home*/zzz_Disabled_Stuff/AppleSpellTest/DisabledLanguages 
mv /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/Resources/en_CA.lproj /Users/*Your_Home*/zzz_Disabled_Stuff/AppleSpellTest/DisabledLanguages 
mv /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/Resources/en_GB.lproj /Users/*Your_Home*/zzz_Disabled_Stuff/AppleSpellTest/DisabledLanguages 
mv /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/Resources/German.lproj /Users/*Your_Home*/zzz_Disabled_Stuff/AppleSpellTest/DisabledLanguages 
mv /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj /Users/*Your_Home*/zzz_Disabled_Stuff/AppleSpellTest/DisabledLanguages 
mv /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/Resources/Portuguese.lproj /Users/*Your_Home*/zzz_Disabled_Stuff/AppleSpellTest/DisabledLanguages 
mv /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/Resources/Russian.lproj /Users/*Your_Home*/zzz_Disabled_Stuff/AppleSpellTest/DisabledLanguages 
mv /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/Resources/Swedish.lproj /Users/*Your_Home*/zzz_Disabled_Stuff/AppleSpellTest/DisabledLanguages
exit
Now all we have to do is change the menu itself: first we open the Info.plist file:
sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/Info.plist
You can also edit the plist file with BBEdit or Apple's Property List Editor.... then remove all the languages (under where it says 'array') except en, fr, es, multilingual so that the menu section looks like this:
	<array>
		<dict>
			<key>NSExecutable</key>
			<string>AppleSpell</string>
			<key>NSLanguages</key>
			<array>
				<string>en</string>
				<string>fr</string>
				<string>es</string>
				<string>Multilingual</string>
			</array>
			<key>NSPortName</key>
			<string>AppleSpell</string>
			<key>NSSpellChecker</key>
			<string>Apple</string>
		</dict>
	</array>
Save, Restart, and you're done, and it really works!!!

[ Reply to This | # ]