Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Use 'not a face' name to ease iPhoto '09 face tagging' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Use 'not a face' name to ease iPhoto '09 face tagging
Authored by: marook on Apr 28, '09 11:27:54AM

In my experience, the best way is to delete the square detected. It should not come back automatically.
So, instead of assigning a 'Not a Face' person to the square, delete it!

---
/Marook

Use 'not a face' name to ease iPhoto '09 face tagging
Authored by: mnyman on Apr 28, '09 11:31:10AM

This would indeed be the best way if you were able to do this for many photos at one. Selecting all the stranger photos and then a right click for a "remove face from recognition database" or something like it. Clicking the x in the top left corner of every face is cumbersome.

---
_________
Mike Nyman

Use 'not a face' name to ease iPhoto '09 face tagging
Authored by: babbage on Apr 28, '09 11:39:37AM

This would undoubtedly be the right way to do this, IF IPHOTO WERE MORE RESPONSIVE.

As it is, the "not a face" trick takes me around 20 seconds per photo, just because it's so slow to respond when I'm in batch confirm/reject mode.

But if I open up each photo and try to tag it that way (or delete mistagged non-faces), then it seriously turns into like 5-10 minutes per photo, as everything just grinds to a halt for me.

I don't have the fastest desktop in the world, but I don't think of it as a slouch, either -- a last-gen dual core 2.3ghz G5 tower with 8gb of RAM and lots of free hard drive space. My iPhoto library has 40k+ photos, which is admittedly a lot, but I've heard of similar sluggishness on Mac Pros too, so it's not just me.

Really, until a version of iPhoto comes along that is responsive enough to even consider this, the "not a face" workaround I've been doing is the most expedient way I've been able to come up with to crank through a bunch of photos as quickly as possible.

---

DO NOT LEAVE IT IS NOT REAL

Use 'not a face' name to ease iPhoto '09 face tagging
Authored by: bhagemann on Apr 28, '09 07:17:53PM

Hey.. here's something to try for you. I have a MDD G4 (dual 1ghz g4) with 2 gigs of ram, os 10.5.6, and iPhoto 8.02 with about 20K images. I had the exact same experience you're describing about the sluggishness. iPhoto was so unusable to do any tagging for me. Using Faces, I'd get the rainbow-ball spinning for a good 5-10 seconds if i did something as simple as close a face box, add a missing face, try to move the face box, and so on. At LEAST many seconds between EVERY operation. Now iPhoto responds instantaneously with all this. The ONLY difference is that I turned OFF the feature where it shows how many photos are in an album with a (#) next to the album names. The only thing I can think of is that it recalculates the numbers after you do things, especially if you have any smart albums.

So if that is on for you, maybe try with it turned off to see? It was absolutely night and day for me. Of course now I don't quite have the justification I did before to use with the wife about why we need a new Intel iMac... ;-)

Use 'not a face' name to ease iPhoto '09 face tagging
Authored by: Notch Johnson on Apr 29, '09 09:28:37AM

Are you talking about the "Sources: Show item count?"

I turned it off and it's still unusably slow for me. Mac Pro 2.8 GHz 8-core, 6 GB RAM, 80k pictures, iPhoto library on dedicated 2-drive stripe RAID. So, getting a new Mac Pro won't help.

Turn off "Sources: [] Show item counts" to make iPhoto faster
Authored by: babbage on Apr 29, '09 10:53:53AM

WOW.

I can't say this totally solved the problem, but it's definitely faster this way -- things like scanning for new faces that were taking minutes before now take seconds, and things that were taking seconds like typing a name are now happening nearly instantly.

It's still more sluggish than I'd prefer, but this is a lot better than it was before. Thanks!

---