Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Add linked text and/or graphics to Mail.app signatures' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Add linked text and/or graphics to Mail.app signatures
Authored by: ghay on Apr 22, '09 02:58:41AM

I look at the argument like this :

email was designed for plain text, it like plain text.
Pushing html into email clients is hacking.
If you read emails on a text console, the html will not be rendered, so you end up not actually communicating.

if you want to use html, go define a new email protocol, DESIGNED for html or whatever you want.

Add linked text and/or graphics to Mail.app signatures
Authored by: palahala on Apr 22, '09 03:56:01AM
Well, the "new" email protocol has been in place for many years: Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions, http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1521.html (which does not imply that we should like it...)

Add linked text and/or graphics to Mail.app signatures
Authored by: ghay on Apr 22, '09 12:28:35PM
Funny, I can read - mainly the word "extension" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME

Add linked text and/or graphics to Mail.app signatures
Authored by: palahala on Apr 22, '09 01:45:19PM

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. But I assume that even most people who are reading on a text console do enjoy MIME for its attachments or non-ASCII characters. So, I don't feel MIME is some non-standard extension.

(Though I don't fancy HTML emails either, and Opt-Cmd-P is my best friend in Apple Mail.)

Add linked text and/or graphics to Mail.app signatures
Authored by: ghay on Apr 25, '09 03:15:31AM

er my point was, design a new protocol, your response was 'the existing one is already extended'

But thanks for playing.
If you have ever read a multipart mime message in elm or pine then you'd know why this extension doesn't work for all users.

Perhaps you think users with screen readers should also not have access to emails?

The only reasonable solution is a new email protocol.

Add linked text and/or graphics to Mail.app signatures
Authored by: palahala on Apr 25, '09 04:23:39AM

I would not fancy a new protocol that is only to be supported by specific mail clients (I don't like multiple email adresses for different protocols). And I wonder if a new protocol that is to be supported by all major clients, would not yield the same problems. For example: I assume that screen readers are smart enough to handle MIME's multipart/alternative messages. However, currently some (or many) email clients (and notably many website newsletters as well) do not correctly include a text-only version of the message as well. I'm afraid the same would happen with a new protocol.

So, I'm afraid that a new protocol would have the same bad implementations. :-(

Or are there actually still email clients out there that do not, officially, support MIME?