Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Reach local iTunes library over the net' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Reach local iTunes library over the net
Authored by: bmishkin on Apr 17, '09 11:39:22AM

Confirmed, no longer works w/ itunes 8.1.1 .

If I find a fix, will post.

Reach local iTunes library over the net
Authored by: roach on May 08, '09 11:17:54PM
Instead of
dns-sd -P "name of server" _daap._tcp local 3690 localhost 127.0.0.1
I used
dns-sd -R "name of server" _daap._tcp. local 3690 localhost 127.0.0.1
Seems to work great. If I get excited I'll post a launchd script. :)

Reach local iTunes library over the net
Authored by: cyberkni on May 13, '09 07:12:43AM
This works!
One catch with it though:
I needed to allow remote hosts to connect to my ssh port forwards via the -g option(or GatewayPorts yes in ~/ssh/.config for that host)
ssh -gNf -L 3690:localhost:3689 remote-machine-with-itunes
dns-sd -R "remote itunes" _daap._tcp. local 3690 localhost 127.0.0.1 &

Reach local iTunes library over the net
Authored by: cyberkni on May 13, '09 07:17:27AM
I have a plist to run my dns-sd registration in the background. I created a ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.dnssd.plist file which looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">;
<plist version="1.0">
<string>3690</string>
<string>localhost</string>
<string>127.0.0.1</string>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

Load it up with launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.dnssd.plist

Reach local iTunes library over the net
Authored by: incanus on May 26, '09 09:49:02PM

I too saw this problem with Meerkat and iTunes 8.1, but I discovered a fix for it. I'm not sure how it translates to the dns-sd tool, but this is the Cocoa code that I use:

NSDictionary *txt = [NSDictionary dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:
    [@"1" dataUsingEncoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding], @"txtvers",
    [@"131073" dataUsingEncoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding], @"iTSh Version",
    [@"196610" dataUsingEncoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding], @"Version",
    nil];

NSData *txtData = [NSNetService dataFromTXTRecordDictionary:txt];

[bonjourServer setTXTRecordData:txtData];

It adds some protocol-specific options that have always been there, but that iTunes just started requiring. The above equate to an advertised iTunes version 6.0.4, which is the oldest one I could see in use on most networks.

Reach local iTunes library over the net
Authored by: bmishkin on Sep 01, '09 05:29:46AM
Mobileme DNS no longer works. If you know the remote machine IP, this script is working for me. Fill in your REMOTE_ITUNES_IP.
#!/bin/bash