Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Leave it ALONE!' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Leave it ALONE!
Authored by: jmkowalski on Feb 26, '09 07:27:22AM

The window title bar is just wasted space, putting the tabs up in the title bar saves screen real estate. It actually make sense there, and I hope the adopt this in Snow Leopard for ALL applications.

I have to believe it is mostly Windows users that are complaining about this. Many apps on the Mac don't even have a title bar.

Leave it ALONE!
Authored by: S on Feb 26, '09 08:55:24AM

How the heck to you move windows?!

Leave it ALONE!
Authored by: Mac Berry on Feb 26, '09 11:07:34AM

Same way you always did - grab the title bar and drag. Have you actually tried it?

Leave it ALONE!
Authored by: frickster on Feb 26, '09 11:16:15AM

Yeah, but it's really da** annoying when you mouse up to select a tab, and you accidentally move the window around the screen. ANNNNNNOYING.

---
-frick

Leave it ALONE!
Authored by: Mac Berry on Feb 26, '09 11:20:24AM

Why would you be holding the mouse button down when doing that? Perhaps you're one of those people who drives with his foot on the brake too? ;)

Leave it ALONE!
Authored by: S on Feb 26, '09 08:57:35AM

Incidentally, I would like to know which Mac apps don't have a title bar.

Leave it ALONE!
Authored by: robogobo on Feb 26, '09 02:06:15PM

...or which other applications have tabs. You mean you want Apple to force other browsers to put tabs on top? That wouldn't be so nice.

tabs
Authored by: paulpro on Feb 27, '09 10:34:02AM

OS X apps other than browsers with tabs:

Terminal
BBEdit
Transmit
Coda
Dreamweaver
Smultron (side or top)
Adium
iTerm
Textmate
NetNewsWire

I'm sure there's more, and tabs above/as part of the title bar would work for most of them.

Have Options, but keep the bottom
Authored by: cycomachead on Feb 26, '09 08:04:35PM

Ok here's the thing about the top: it does save some space, but I believe the difference was calculated to be 22 vertical pixels, or between 2-3% of the vertical display on a 12 - 24" monitor.

Also the thing for me is, I love keyboard shortcuts, which are fast, but I HAVE to reply on the universal access zoom feature which means I generally work with things closest to the center, this is fastest with universal access. So, because of this I do rely on the mouse a lot of visual things and I can switch tabs via the mouse faster and easier, and also can just see the titles of tabs in an easier manner. That's the same reason I'm using the old status bar.

Plus I don't like the way I have to use the triangles to move tabs. This setup might make sense on a small screen, but my MB is the right size.