Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Brother Printers & CUPS' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Brother Printers & CUPS
Authored by: eorooke on Aug 26, '02 10:31:22AM

Thank you for replying to my post. How did you get the HL 1440 to print under Jaguar?
What drivers do you use? Will it print when locally connected to a Mac or must it be connected to
another computer running linux?

Thank you for your help.

Brother Printers & CUPS
Authored by: mattmk on Aug 26, '02 11:27:58AM

Brother provides a "USB-only" driver for the 1440 (http://solutions.brother.com/hl1400/download/drivers.html#macOS). I just enabled printer sharing and it became available. It prints fine, but it takes a very long time.

Brother Printers & CUPS
Authored by: Anonymous on Aug 26, '02 01:31:01PM

I have a Brother HL-1450 printer.
I installed GIMP-Print for OS X this morning. After a restart, Print Center recognize immediately my Brother.
All files print well except some PDF made by Adobe Acrobat. But on the Home page of GIMP-Print, you'll find a work-around.
This afternoon, after reading another MacOSX hint, I configured successfully the printer.

Brother Printers & CUPS
Authored by: Happy_Chappy on Aug 28, '02 06:37:42AM

Hi There,
I used Gimp_print 4.2 on an emac and a Beige G3 300, and i can print to a brother 1040 and a 1670n. I installed the old driver (10.1) for the 1040 brother printer (File hl12m134.hqx on the brother server) and my 1240 worked fine.
When using the print centre press option and click on the add button and you will get heaps of options. Try them all. I can also print to my epson 670 and to my absolute delight my epson photoex (via a parallel to usb cable) You can configure them with out the web browser palava, just option click add printer.
The addition of CUPS support is worth the $US129 upgrade price. The new printer support is a powerful argument in support of corporate support of opensource projects.

Brother Printers & CUPS
Authored by: eorooke on Sep 05, '02 07:57:43PM

After installing 10.2, I installed the 10.1 drivers for my Brother DCP-1200 and Gimp-Print
for MacOS X. Opening the Print Center with the option key pressed, the DCP-1200
appears as a listed printer in the menu at the top of the page.

However, there is no DCP-1200 listed as a printer driver at the bottom of the page. My
only choices are a generic driver and "other". Printing with the generic driver reports that
a file is finally being sent to the printer - but nothing happens.

At linuxprinting.org I found that the DCP-1200 supports PCL2. Choosing "other" and this
driver from the HP list results in an error message. I created a ppd driver using
linuxprinting.org's database but this causes another error.

Further, I cannot install this ppd file in the cups/model directory as instructed by
linuxprinting.org because this directory reports that it cannot be modified. I have not tried
downloading the perl and companion file from linuxprinting because I am not sure where to
install them and because they are to be saved in a "world format" - what is that?

I find many help requests for Brother printers and drivers in discussion groups at Apple
and elesewhere. Apparently it may be some time before Brother releases any drivers.
Has anyone overcome these missing driver problems? The instructions at linuxprinting.org
are difficult to follow. A simple 10.2 Guide would help.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Brother Printers & CUPS
Authored by: bitweever on Oct 12, '02 01:01:14PM

I was able to print to my Brother HL-1240 that is shared by my Windows 2000 PC just by following the hint at the top. Since there's no driver for it under CUPS, I used the HP Laserjet driver (which the HL is supposed to be compatible with), and it prints great!

Brother Printers & CUPS - 1440 Success
Authored by: oldmac on Jan 17, '03 07:34:57PM

I have been using the Brother driver with my 1440 USB via Mac OS X.2 successfully. I can't say that I had to do anything special to make it work, though I did install Gimp print on the machine, as well.

Also, I have now enabled CUPS and have it set up so that I can print from my PC through my Macintosh. These forums are great for getting a start on something like this, but detailed instructions with screenshots would be even better. I hope to contribute such should I find the time in the future and maybe put together a couple scripts to make it easier, as well.