Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Whut? | 14 comments | Create New Account
Click here to return to the 'Whut?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Whut?
Authored by: Chas on Nov 18, '08 08:23:11AM

What are you talking about? You already CAN cut and paste in the Finder. It's a standard feature.

Euh, I know I can't...
Authored by: morespace54 on Nov 18, '08 08:42:00AM

I know I can't "cut/paste" a file or a folder in Tiger. A filename, sure but not a whole file nor a folder.

Great tip btw.
I love QS and I just can't find enoughs time to play with it as much as I would like, so thanks!

OK, my bad...
Authored by: morespace54 on Nov 18, '08 08:45:44AM

You can "copy/paste" (make a duplicate of the file or the folder) in the Finder but I can't "cut/paste" (move the file or the folder).

So I still say: Great tip!

No, you can.
Authored by: Chas on Nov 18, '08 08:57:11AM

You have obviously never actually tried this. I just checked on my old 10.4 machine that I keep around to check older features. You can copy and paste files and folders just fine, it's a standard feature since at least 10.4, probably earlier.

Try this:

1. Go to any folder, click on a file icon to select it (DON'T select the filename)
2. Command-C
3. Navigate to any other folder
4. Command-V
5. Notice the file has been copied and pasted into the folder.
6. Apply palm to forehead vigorously in gobsmacked recognition of a standard MacOS X feature you never knew about.

No. You are wrong.
Authored by: masonk on Nov 18, '08 09:02:30AM

I registered just to reply to your assinine comment.

No one is talking about copy-pasting here except you. We are talking about cut-pasting, aka the file move operation.

You think the OP of this hint went through all this trouble because he just didn't notice that it's already built in?

Jesus.

No, you can't
Authored by: mathboynz on Nov 18, '08 11:18:15AM

RTFA,

He's talking about CUT & paste (not copy and paste). My guess is that you finally (wonder how many hours it took you...) figured out what he is on about and now are being quiet (which is what you should have done to start with).

"it is better to remain quiet than open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Can't stand copy and paste when I want to move a file as it requires you to copy to the destination and then return to the original location and manually delete the file. Hence a tip and shortcut like this is very needed.

Maybe next time you should actually take time to read the article properly.

No, you can't
Authored by: mathboynz on Nov 18, '08 11:29:59AM

Correction:

"it is better to remain quiet and be thought an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt"

There, that's better.

No, you can.
Authored by: macgruder on Nov 19, '08 04:26:29AM

Chas is probably cutting and pasting himself down the toilet about now.

No, you can.
Authored by: jwyner on Nov 19, '08 09:01:37AM

I think he's looking for the Command-X button for his post...

---
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them."
-- Albert Einstein